fifteen

The fastest courtship upon record occurred during the markedly wet season of 1804, when Miss Mary Leopold secured a betrothal over a plate of sugared almonds and licorice in just four and a half minutes. Of course, Miss Leopold and her new husband would leave London mere hours after their wedding. Reason unknown. Of all that I have imparted to you, dear reader, there is but one bit of wisdom you must heed most. One can never know the truth of a marriage hiding behind closed doors.

Beware indeed, blushing newlyweds. You know not the future that awaits. Will there be hardship or indignity? Or will one's future see the rarest accomplishment of all, a true love match? As for which of these fates await the eager matches of the season of 1813, only two things will tell... Time, and, as always, this author.

I sit in the drawing room with Valentine.

"I am rather excited for the Hastings Ball," I confess.

"I expected you would be," Val tells me.

"It is Daphne's first ball as the Duchess of Hastings. I am so looking forward to seeing Clyvedon for the first time," I say.

"I know you have only mentioned it three times in the past hour," Val remarks.

"It is not my fault you are counting the moments down until we leave for Scotland," I tell him.

"I know you are as well," Val remarks. "You no longer have to ride early in the morning to keep people from seeing the indecency of you riding astride."

I smile. "I suppose you are right."

Val smiles. "I suspect I will see very little of you once we depart for the season."

Lady Bridgerton has invited Val and I around this morning. We sit the drawing room with all of the Bridgerton family.

"I am confident I could last a few rounds in a boxing ring," Anthony insists.

"Well, that is certainly a match I would like to see," Val taunts.

Daphne and the duke finally arrive. I have so been looking forward to the days when I could spend time with her and her family again. I know I am not related to the Bridgertons, but I feel as if they are a little bit like my family as well.

"Sister!" Francesca shouts.

Daphne pulls her into a hug. "Francesca! Welcome home."

"It is so wonderful to see you." Francesca nods at the duke. "And you, Your Grace. I thought four brothers enough but returning to five is quite nice."

"Simon!" Hyacinth skips towards the duke. "When will I be able to visit Clyvedon?"

"Hyacinth allow the duke to find a seat before you trouble him," Lady Bridgerton tells her.

"You are welcome to visit at any time," the duke assures.

Hyacinth giggles as she drags him across the room.

"Now, come. Show me what you've been learning all summer," Daphne instructs.

I spot Eloise sitting on a couch eating chocolates from a box. I sit down next to her.

"I will give you anything you desire if you give me one of those chocolates," I tell her. Eloise moves the box towards me. I smile widely. "Oh, Eloise I do so love you."

Benedict sits down on the other side of his sister and holds his hand out for a piece of chocolate.

"I do not share my food," Eloise insists.

"Well, it appears that you do." Benedict points to me. "Anyhow you are not to do what you did the other morning ever again. Do you understand, Eloise?"

"You mean visiting my new acquaintance?" Eloise questions.