eighteen

There is nothing quite like the sweet-scented smell of success. But after taking in the scene from last night's festivities, it is clear the season won't be quite so fragrant for everyone. The Viscount Bridgerton's own mama may have loudly declared her eldest son's lofty intentions to marry, yet I cannot be the only one wondering if this former Capital-R-Rake is, indeed, ready to flourish. Perhaps the viscount, like the rest of us, is simply waiting for the queen to finally name her diamond. Or perhaps this author should take matters into her own hands. Though, of the many purportedly well-trained and bred hothouse flowers on display this year, this author must wonder if a more surprising choice might still be in store. Whichever darling miss receives such high esteem, let us hope there is a suitor available of only the sharpest wit, lest his dry musings leave a young lady wilting like a parched rose.

Lady Bridgerton has invited Val and I around for tea this afternoon. I do wish Daphne would be there, but I must start getting used to her having her own home and a family with the duke. Madame Delacroix is here with fabric swatches for Eloise and Lady Bridgerton to look at.

"Lady Goring was quite taken with Eloise's dress last night, Madame Delacroix," Lady Bridgerton tells her. "She would keep saying how well it complemented her complexion. She said you reminded her of Daphne, dearest."

"I am not Daphne," Eloise states.

"This is the one," Lady Bridgerton says as she picks out a purple silk.

"Ah. With pleasure, Lady Bridgerton," Madame Delacroix tells her.

"You do know, Eloise, that you might enjoy the next ball if you, in fact, danced with someone," Lady Bridgerton offers.

"Meeting new people, it can be thrilling," I add.

"Yes, it certainly seemed as though Anthony had a thrilling time. Swept away by many a nimble-footed young lady, Brother?" Eloise says.

"I can still barely feel my toes," Anthony tells her. "I thought you ladies were taught to dance."

"I thought you gentlemen capable of worthwhile conversation," Eloise counters. "How sad both of our hopes were dashed."

"I think Eloise would make a brilliant diamond," Hyacinth offers.

"I could not agree more, Hyacinth. Perhaps Her Majesty will take note at her ball tomorrow night," Lady Bridgerton says.

"I despise you," Eloise tells her.

I see Madame Delacroix stop in the doorway to speak with Benedict. I had not realised that the two of them were still whatever it is that they wish to call themselves.

"Brother. Are you and the modiste still, uh, making a stitch?" Anthony asks.

"Apparently not. Have you found a wife yet?" Benedict asks. "Or are you planning to offend every girl until there are none left? Is Mother aware?"

"Aware of what?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"I'm off to deal with our solicitor," Anthony says as he stands up. "Have fun with your pretty pictures, Brother."

Lady Bridgerton follows after him. "Anthony?"

I turn to Benedict. "I see things are going well with Anthony's attempt to find a wife."

"I am almost certain your brother will be married before Anthony," Benedict teases.

"I am right here," Val protests.

Formed under pressure, desired by many, yet possessed only by a fortunate few, there is nothing on earth quite so envied as a diamond. Might our queen finally extinguish the fevered speculation and bestow the highest of honors to a most fortunate young lady tonight? With so many futures at risk, I do suspect this author is not the only one waiting with bated breath.