twenty five

It has been passed along to Anthony and me that Her Majesty is rather upset with our engagement. According to her we have ruined her perfect match. If only she knew how I felt. To my relief however she almost entirely blames Anthony. Assuming right, she believes that he is the one who compromised me. While she does not endorse the wedding, she will not stop it from happening. I should only be thankful I do not have to ask her for a special license.

The frenzy of competition. The thrilling delight of hazarding your all. I am referring not to the lure of London's luxurious gaming halls but to a gamble with far higher stakes. Matrimony. For once that particular wager is placed, it cannot easily be undone. A fact which, I am sure, is met with both regret and sheer relief.

I have a fitting for my wedding dress today. Every young miss has been looking forward to this day since she learned what marriage it. I have always looked forward to this day but now, now it feels different. Not wrong, just different from how I always imagined it.

"I do wonder about the trim. Is it too much?" I ask.

Lady Danbury shakes her head. "Nothing is too much for the daughter of a duke."

"Let me show you the French tulle," Madame Delacroix offers.

I look at myself in the mirror once more as she walks to the back of the store. The dress is beautiful. It is everything I have dreamed of, but I still cannot help but feel there is something wrong.

"The blue was a good choice," Lady Danbury tells me.

I nod my head but do not speak for a moment. Finally, I take a deep breath. "When I was younger, I always envisioned my Mama here with me." Lady Danbury nods her head in understanding. "I also thought it would be under different circumstances."

"Your Mama was one of my dearest friends," Lady Danbury reminds me. "She would have known exactly what to say to make you feel better." I can feel tears in my eyes. "But that's not to say that I do not have some advice of my own." She moves to stand beside me, and I can see her in the mirror with me. "This marriage may to have come about in the manner you desired. But that does not mean that it cannot be a good one. It is up to you and Lord Bridgerton to decide what kind of marriage you shall have."

I nod my head. "Thank you, Lady Danbury. For everything."

I came back from a ride I hoped would clear my head. It did not. Or maybe it did but my head was once again clouded when I walked into the drawing room and came face to face with Anthony.

"Lord Bridgerton?" I question.

"Lady Mercy," Anthony greets. He turns to the man behind him. "This is the jeweler." I look at him waiting for him to elaborate. "We are here to have your betrothal ring altered to fit."

"Is that cake?" the jeweller asks.

I look at him quizzically. "It is indeed."

"Lemon?" the man asks.

"Pardon?" I question.

"I fancy a good lemon," the man tells me without prompting.

I sigh. "Might I offer you some refreshment, Mr..."

"Brookes," the man tells me. "Only if you insist. I mean, it would be churlish to refuse." He turns to a servant. "Tea, three spoons of sugar, and perhaps some sandwiches too, thank you."

I suppose we must wait for this man to have his cake.

Anthony takes a deep breath before turning to me. "It is fine weather we are having, is it not?"

I look at him in disbelief. "You wish to speak to me of the weather?"

"Is there another topic of conversation that'd be more appropriate?" Anthony questions.