twenty three

If the Ancient Greeks were members of the ton, they might have added to their Olympic pentathlon one additional event. The hosting of a country visit. This, of course, is the week of Lady Bridgerton's annual Hearts and Flowers Ball, the year's most coveted invitation in the country, and no event better designed to show the might and mettle of its host.

I look up when I hear a knock on the door. Kate is standing in the doorway.

"I came to check on you," Kate tells me. "How is the sting?"

"It no longer hurts," I assure her. "It is more a nuisance than anything else." Kate nods her head. "Is Edwina still upset that Anthony has not yet proposed?"

"She insists that the viscount is the only man she wants," Kate tells me. "That she desires his family, this home, the life he offers her."

I nod my head. "I can understand the desire."

"She blames me," Kate informs me.

"For Anthony's lack of action?" I question.

"Yes. Edwina believes that it is because Lord Bridgerton and I do not get along," Kate explains.

"Anthony is a hard person to get along with," I offer.

"Edwina is insistent that I get along with the viscount. For her sake," Kate tells me.

"I believe your sister is not going to give up on her hopes," I offer. "Maybe there is some way that you and Anthony can work things out."

Everyone is out in the back garden as the Bridgertons' guests start to arrive. Benedict smiles as he walks towards me.

"Lady Mercy," Benedict greets.

"Mister Bridgerton," I say with a smile.

"I should apologise for the other night," Benedict tells me.

I shake my head. "You do not need to apologise. I am not your mother nor your wife, you do not owe me an explanation."

Benedict smiles slightly. "Yes, but it was still rather inappropriate."

"I should just be glad that it was the worst thing I have ever seen you do," I tell him.

Anthony walks over towards us looking rather unhappy. "Are you ready for this bloody hunt?" Anthony asks Benedict.

"Good afternoon, my lord," I state. "Benedict and I were in the middle of a lovely conversation."

Benedict laughs. "What has gotten you so upset?"

"Miss Edwina has insisted that Miss Sharma join us on the hunt," Anthony explains.

I laugh lightly. "Perhaps Miss Sharma can teach Anthony a thing or two."

"I suppose Miss Sharma just wants to upstage Anthony," Benedict tells me.

Anthony shakes his head. "I will not be bested by Miss Sharma."

"Of course not," Benedict says with a smile.

Anthony hits Benedict in the arm. "Let us make haste. I want to get this over with sooner rather than later."

I sit with Lady Danbury, Lady Mary, Daphne, and Edwina as we play cards. I know Daphne is planning to question Edwina to get to know her. Anthony has told his sibling very little about the young miss he plans to marry.

"Hopefully, the festivities are living up to your expectations, Miss Edwina?" Daphne says.

"Very much, Your Grace," Edwina assures. "You and your mama are such diligent hostesses. I so look forward to hosting my own gatherings one day."