twenty six

Now that I have calmed down. I know that I must speak with Edwina and Val. I decide it best to speak with Edwina first. I find her in her bedroom.

"Might I come in?" I ask.

"I was rude to you," Edwina says. "And for that I am truly sorry."

"I did mess up," I confess. "I was alone with your suitor."

Edwina laughs. "And I was alone with your brother."

"Do you love Val?" I ask.

I can see Edwina try to hide a smile. "I like him very very much."

"May we be friends once more?" I ask.

Edwina smiles as she takes my hands. "Of course."

"Will you attend my wedding?" I ask.

"If you desire for me to be there I shall be there," Edwina assures me.

A march down the aisle may very well be the longest walk any young lady ever takes. It does not simply cover the length of the church, but rather, countless floors for dancing, and meandering paths for every afternoon promenade too. It is a wonder, then, that feet do not tire or, heaven forbid, trip under the scrutiny of all those attentive eyes keeping close watch, indeed.

Val would have lost his mind if he saw me sneaking to Benedict's apartment. But I need to see him.

Benedict looks surprised as he opens the door. I must be the last person he expected here.

"Mercy? Is everything alright?" Benedict asks.

I nod my head. "Yes. Yes. I just needed to see you."

"You're not getting cold feet, are you?" Benedict asks.

"No. I simply wanted to make sure that you and I can remain on good terms if I go through with this," I explain.

"If?" Benedict asks. "Are you changing your mind?"

I shake my head. "No. I do not think so. I have made my bed and I shall lie in it."

"I know Anthony may not tell you so much that he loves you, but he will provide for you," Benedict tells me. "He will be kind to you." Benedict smiles. "And if he does not, you simply need tell me and I will put him in his place."

I smile widely. "You truly are my best friend, Benedict."

"And you are mine," Benedict assures.

I sit in my bedroom with Val. It is the night before my wedding. Most families have traditions to follow. Val and I thought it best to simply be with one another. Our last night living in the same home.

"Are you excited?" Val asks.

"I am nervous," I confess. "It is all so strange. I have faced a thousand tomorrows, but they have all been leading to this one."

Val laughs. "Are you to be a poet now?"

"Do you think you will marry Edwina?" I ask.

Val blushes. I laugh. "You're blushing."

"I am not," Val insists. I laugh again. "And I am too young to marry. But..."

"But..." I trial off.

"Edwina and I have agreed that we will wait," Val tells me. "That we will marry once I am older. Once I can truly provide for a family."

I smile. "I am happy for you."

Anthony and I's wedding is to be small. Smaller than anyone in the ton cares for. All I care is that our family is there. And that the Sharmas have agreed to attend. I am happy to get married at Aubrey Hall instead of St George's.