3. snow

Max POV

It was the half term. I had so far not worried anyone with the bruises on my body, however I could now relax a little bit as not everyone would be seeing me. Including Ben. Just my brother and mum which was still a big deal but not the worst.

I woke up and the first thing I saw was Nick sat on my bed.
"Good morning," he said
"Hey," I replied.
"Now that your awake would you like to explain what happened to your arms and face?" He asked me.
"W-what?" I asked confused.
"Max, c'mon talk to me," Nick said.
"I-I can't, and also why do you care?" I asked.
"I care because I care about you," he told me.
"Well your one of the only ones," I told him. I then realised what I said and panicked. "Wait- no, that's not what I meant,"
"What do you mean then?" Nick asked.
"I-I It doesn't matter," I told him.
"Fine, can you explain the bruises?" He asked me.
"Uhhhh," I said rolling over and putting my face in the pillow, but that was a mistake. I felt my t-shirt ride up my back and I panicked. There was a bruise on my back from when Ben had pushed me into the bench.
"Maxine, tell me what happened," Nick demanded.
"No, and get out!" I yelled at him.

I knew he was only trying to help, but I couldn't tell him anything. He would get mad at Ben and try to beat him up and then Ben would share my secret.

"What's all this shouting about?" I heard mum yell as she walked upstairs.
"It's nothing," I said hurriedly.
"No it's not nothing. Max has bru-" Nick started. I covered his mouth so he couldn't say any more.
"It's nothing! Nothing!" I said again.
"Ok then..." Mum said suspiciously.
"Can you clean your rooms please, especially you Nick, Charlie's coming around." She said.

"What was that for," Nick whisper yelled.
"Nothing! Now get out!" I said and he left awkwardly.

I closed the door after he left and slid down it sighing. That was way to close.

Nick POV

I wanted to know what happened to Max. She was my sister and someone was hurting her. She wasn't that clumsy.

I cleaned my room and waited for Charlie. I saw Max walk across the landing. She was wearing a hoodie with the hood up. I heard the bathroom door close and I sighed.

Before she came out of the bathroom, I heard the door bell ring. Charlie was here.

Max POV

I heard the door bell ring and I panicked. I needed to hide. I quickly finished applying the makeup to the bruises that were visible and then hid the makeup quickly in the bathroom. I stayed silent and when I'd heard Nick's bedroom door close I snuck back to my room.

I went on my phone and saw Ben's story. He was saying how amazing I was. It made me feel sick. I wanted to cry and scream but I couldn't. I didn't need anyone to find out.

I stayed upstairs til I noticed something out of my window. It was snowing. I grabbed my coat and boots and put them on so I could go outside.
"Hey mum I'm gonna go out for a bit if that's ok," I said.
"Of course dear, but please come back if you get cold or something.

I left the door and walked to the park. I moved some of the snow off one of the benches and sat down. It was nice to have a change of scenery.

But that all left me when I saw someone walking towards me. Why couldn't he just fuck off for once.
"Do you have me on gps or something?" I asked him as he walked towards me.
"Hilarious Neilson," the boy said. The one and only b*n h*pe.

"Can you leave me alone?" I asked.
"No, I need people to think we're a real couple," he said.
"And why's that?" I asked.
"Do you want your brother to find out or not?"
"Fine, well at least let us enjoy ourselves," I told him.
"Alright, how about a snowball fight?" He asked.
"Great," I said.

I threw the snowballs straight at b*n with full pelt. Somehow though he managed to dodge them. However I couldn't dodge the ones he was throwing me. They hurt.

"Hey, I'm gonna head home," I told him.
"Are you sure about that?" He asked me.
"Yeah, pretty much," I said.
"I don't think so," he said and he pushed me into the bench.
"God your really good at that," I said sarcastically through the pain.

He made me stay there until it was dark. Every time I tried to get away, he would hurt me.

In the end he got bored so he went home. I was freezing.

I walked home and got inside the door.
"Maxine! Where the hell have you been?" My mum yelled.
"I-I'm s-sorry," I said. There were tears welling in my eyes.
"God Max your freezing," she said hugging me.
"Why were you out so long?" She asked.
"I met..a...friend," I told her.
"Oh...well that's ok, just next time ring me so I know and I don't worry," she said.

I gave her a weak smile.
"Why don't you go have a bath, that'll warm you up, I'll make you some soup and hot chocolate," Mum said.
"Ok, umm mum can I just have the hot chocolate...I kinda feel sick," I told her.
"Of course darling," she said.

I walked upstairs and put the hot water tap on. I changed out of my clothes and grabbed my pyjamas and placed them on my bed. Then I grabbed my dressing gown and put it on to keep me warm.

"Hey Max, your home," Nick said.
"Yeah, how was Charlie?" I asked.
"Good," he said and I smiled
"Hey what happened to your legs?"he asked.
"Nothing, don't worry," I said and walked into the bathroom.

I filled the bath with bubbles and warmed up in it. My body gave me a slight sting but that went away after a bit.

After my bath, I put my pyjamas, slippers and dressing gown on.

I went downstairs and got my hot chocolate. I sat down next to my mum. There was something on the tv but I ignored it. I was deep in though. 

"You alright Max, you've been quite quiet lately," Mum said.
"Yeah, no I'm good," I told her.
"Good, is school ok?" She asked.
"Yeah, it is actually, I made 3 new friends, Elle, Tara and Darcy," I told her.
"Oh, that's nice Max, I'm glad your happy," she said and I smiled, even though I knew it wasn't entirely true.