Chapter 15

The week is dragging on. Pierson has been on edge because I'm going with Egan tomorrow. I've barely let Pierson touch me and it's working. My head already feels clearer.

Pierson has come with me to all my lectures even though he's not registered in any of them.

I told him I have to study for my test on Monday, but really, I've just been sitting on the couch zoning out for the last hour.

It's almost 10:00 now and I'm not at all prepared for tomorrow.

I hear Pierson enter the living room, so I flip over my notecard like I actually know the answer that's on the back.

"Do you want me to quiz you?" Pierson asks while sitting next to me.

"No that's okay. I'm going to go to bed," I reply while standing up.

I head upstairs and go into the bathroom. I've already showered and changed into my pajamas. I brush my teeth and then walk into Pierson's room.

He's lying in bed looking at his phone.

I lay down and then roll over so I am facing away from him. I have been doing this every night since Sunday, but Pierson always ends up over on this side with me.

"Kaydence," he softly calls.

I roll to my back and look over at him.

"Do you have any questions about tomorrow?" he asks.

"I go with Egan after lecture," I say.

"Yes," he replies. I see something flash through his green eyes. It looks like sadness or maybe worry.

I don't want to see his sadness or worry, so I roll back over to my side.

"Night," I say in order to shut down the conversation.

"Night love," he whispers while turning off the lamp.

************

I wake up sweaty. I try to take deep breaths, but the air won't fill my lungs.

Pierson is basically hugging me to his body, making me sweat. I wiggle out of his hold but then he pulls me in tighter.

"Pierson," I complain while pushing at his chest.

"What?" he sleepily asks.

"Let go. I need the fan," I sigh while pushing at him again. He releases me and I turn the fan on and sit in front of it.

"I'll get water," he tells me while standing up.

"Thank you," I reply while closing my eyes and focusing on my breathing.

Pierson sits next to me and holds the cold water to my forehead.

I take it from him and drink a little.

"Are you worried about tomorrow?" he asks while pulling me onto his lap and holding my hair up to help me cool down.

"I guess," I minimize while closing my eyes again.

"Please talk to me Kaydence. You've been shutting me out all week," he begs.

"I'm not shutting you out," I defend.

"You've barely let me near you. You say the least number of words as possible," he goes on.

"Okay. I'm worried about going with Egan," I admit.

"You just have to try it this week. You can always call me to come get you," he tells me while wrapping his arms around me.

I nod and move my face from the fan and into his chest. His arms tighten around me and he kisses my head.