CHAPTER 11

When they arrived at the construction site, Mu Tian Heng and Lai De Si got off and went to deal with their work, leaving Mo Di in the car.

Mo Di and the driver stayed in the car in dead silence.

“Want some water?” The driver uncle tried to ease up the awkward atmosphere.

“No thank you, uncle. I want to take a look outside.” Mo Di gave a good-boy smile and pointed outside the window. “There are many things over there I haven’t seen before. I want to have a closer look.” 

“Ok.” After saying this, the driver dropped his show of interest, lowered his head and played with his phone. 

Mo Di did not understand why the driver’s mood suddenly changed but he paid it no mind. He opened the door and stepped out.

Mu Tian Heng’s leg was disabled in Hua Xia. The more dangerous the place, the more likely it would happen there. He had to stay close.

The moment Mo Di closed the door, the driver uncle touched his forehead and grumbled unhappily: “I’m only two years older than the boss. Why does he get to be called brother and I’m called an uncle.”

Mo Di went to the edge of the site and looked towards its center.

There were all kinds of tools, shovels, concrete trolleys, steel pipes etc were lined across the construction site. The bright sun penetrating the dust in the air was like a fog covering the site, basking the place in a golden glow.

Mu Tian Heng was standing in the middle of the construction site talking with a person wearing a suit and a safety helmet. Behind them was a skeletal structure of a building. There were workers carrying buckets and shovels working on it. Bamboo poles and steel pipes were also placed on the platform. At a glance, it seemed harmless but a careful look could cause quite unease.

Mo Di raised his neck to the fullest to look at the dust-covered structure. A few rays of sunlight pierced through the framework with its rough and sturdy looking welding. 

Suddenly Mo Di had a bad premonition. Intuition made him stand up and run towards the center of the construction. 

A worker saw that a child had broken into the site and quickly yelled at him to get out.

Mo Di ignored the man and kept running. Another dark-skinned worker saw Mo Di running in and tried to stop him, yelling fiercely: “What are you doing. Children can’t just casually come in here! Get out!” 

“Where did you come from? Don’t you have eyes? Who let you in? Can you be responsible if any accidents were to happen?”

“I’m sorry, uncle. I’m looking for someone.” Mo Di apologized promptly and pointed to where Mu Tian Heng was standing. He said: “I’m looking for him. I need to talk to him.” 

“You’re looking for the tall-built boss?” The tall middle-aged man glanced in that direction and said: “Who knows if that boss actually knows you. You can’t go in. If we let you in and something happens, what’re we gonna do?”

“That’s right, what if something happened? What’s a child like you running about for? This is no place to have fun.” the short man reached out and pushed Mo Di on the shoulder: “Quickly get out! Stop making trouble here. Even if there’s something wrong you still can’t just run into the construction site. Leave!” 

Mu Tian Heng was listening to the engineer talk about the next phase budget and the final sketch when he heard what sounded like bickering in the distance. Looking up, he saw the boy who was supposed to wait in the car standing far-off, arguing with two workers.