two

The worst part about the first day of school was the traffic leading in and out of the campus. Almost everyone had their own car and parents were dropping their kids off left and right. If you didn't make it here first you might not make it in at all. Lucky for me, I got a temporary handicap sticker because Tyler got too rough during his summer lessons. Maya thought it was embarrassing but who am I to walk the extra distance just to get to the main room.

"You've been using them fine all summer and suddenly you don't know how to walk?" She tried her best to keep one of his crutches upright but when Tyler fell to the ground we both let out a deep groan. "What on earth are you doing?"

Before he could answer, a random girl with bob-length blonde hair and big brown eyes that'll take you to another world rushed to his side with a pout on her face. Maya and I stepped out the way when Tyler discreetly flapped his hand behind his back signaling us to move along.

"Oh, Tyler! It looks like you've gotten worse since the last time I saw you." She examined his wrapped-up ankle and gave it a kiss. "Let me help you."

"Thank you, Hollie. You've sure been more than I could ask for." With one flash of his cocky grin, he and Hollie limped their way inside the school building.

I didn't know if I wanted to feel proud or annoyed that he made a scene not even two minutes into his first day. Maya seemed to be annoyed which meant I should be proud. "I guess we gotta give it to him. He got the girl."

We walked inside the double blue doors together and Maya instantly parted ways when she saw her friends crowded around the cafeteria where they said they would meet. My friends and I agreed to meet in the cafe. I haven't told them about the break up and the fear of bumping into Alyssa was strong. She would be enjoying life without me which is something we said we would do together.

Once I looked up from my shameful self pity, I saw Brett walking towards me with his letterman jacket, khaki pants, and slick brown hair that he pressured people not to touch. He's been on the basketball team going on two years and he never failed to fit the "look" everyone desired.

"Standing in the middle of the hallway are we?" His hand slammed down on my shoulder and gave it a grip to show off his strength. The man was pretty much muscle and gifted. Unlike my family who was genetically crafted to be lean and tall with barely enough muscle to be considered built.

"It's our last year. Using the first day of school to take it all in." A lie so smooth I'm surprised it came from me. "The guys still gathering in the lunch room? I'm thinking we change to a more exclusive spot this year. Somewhere that doesn't involve fourteen year olds."

"Too cool for the freshman? I'm liking the senior Ryan. Reminds me of my grandpa." He slung an arm around my shoulder and moved us further down the hall to the opposite of the cafe. "Last year we looked forward to this year. The year of being the top dogs and no longer being one less than the ones who graduate before us. We're men, Ryan. Which means there are some things we have to take seriously."

I rolled my eyes when he pointed to the baseball field just across the street. "I didn't join a sport last year or the year before that. What makes you think this year I'm suddenly going to change my mind?"

"What about Alyssa. Her friends are all dating men in sports. I saw the sappy shit you were posting this weekend. I know you two broke up. I also know how you can get her back."

"What if I don't want her back?" I lifted his arm from off my shoulders to shake my body out a bit. "I'm fine, dude. Really. We talked it out and it's all understandable. She needs time to breathe and flaunting a baseball bat in her face is the complete opposite of that."

Brett wasn't one to get his ideas shot down too swiftly. I knew I wouldn't hear the end of this but since we're short on time he gave me a simple huff. "Well what the fuck are we going to do?!"

"Hello! I'm Paris, student council President. I'm passing out flyers for senior social tonight. It's held in the gym and it's just an event where we discuss internship and scholarship opportunities. At the end we all socialize until eleven. It's a great way to get to know your fellow classmates and just...yeah."

Brett took two and passed me one while briefly reading over his. "Paris. I remember voting for you. My girlfriend-"

"I know Loya very well. She's going to be there. Tell your friends and girlfriends. It'll be nice."

We both nodded as she walked to the next group to pass out flyers. The look Brett gave me was devious and I knew what he was thinking. "This isn't a speed dating service."

"No need to fly through women when one just passed you up. Paris has been single since birth. She's smart and she's ambitious. You like girls who put themselves out there."

"I'm not doing this with you right now."

"Okay! You don't have to but we're going to the social shit. I'm not tryna go home tonight."