nine

Logan and Brett dog piled into my bedroom door as if they were rescuing me from a fire. It's only been thirty minutes since Paris left and they got here in under five. The news was detrimental and I couldn't wait until the next day to spill the beans.

"Don't fucking look!" I scrambled to the trash can that Brett was about to search in. I quickly grabbed the bag and knotted it up in embarrassment. "Just sit the fuck down, geez."

Logan sat at my computer desk while Brett plopped right next to me and left no personal space. "So tell us, man. What the hell happened?" Brett said in my ear.

"I already told you. The condom broke. It was a freaking shit show and she has no idea." My head fell in my hands. "This is the first time and I screwed up."

Logan did one twirl in the chair before using his feet to stop and landing his elbows on his knees. "That is not good. You need to tell her now. Text her or something so she can take the necessary precautions at a reasonable time. How long is it? Seventy-two hours?"

"I know but what if she wants to never do it again now since I'm some orgasmic risk." Tonight with Paris is something I didn't want to pass up. I also didn't want eighteen years with the girl. "I'll just tell her tomorrow."

They both agreed with my decision and suddenly it got dead quiet. I was starting to think this was something I could of discussed on the phone instead of calling an emergency meeting.

Logan let out an awkward whistle while glancing around my room. "So... can we crash here so I can't say I wasted my gas?"

Logan and Brett were supposed to stay until the end of Saturday but they ended up spending the whole weekend and now they're wearing my clothes and some of Kit's to school. It was a much needed distraction especially since I got a lot of anger out when Logan beat our ass in every game.

"Bro, what would you do if I just died right now?"

I scratched my head and looked away the moment Brett asked such a dumb question. We were outside on the field simply trying to get some warm air since the school suddenly turned into a Christian's morning. I knew it wouldn't be peaceful with Brett and his brain involved.

"I don't know. Maybe cry," Logan answered.

"So what moves are you making to actually be with this girl

"So what moves are you making to actually be with this girl. You guys have been texting since we stepped foot on campus."

I looked at Logan as if he lost his mind and he returned the expression back to me. "I don't like her. She's just... around, you know?"

I shrugged. Brett shrugged. Logan sat there. "The goal wasn't for you to sleep with her. It was for you to be friends with her and see where that goes."

"A girl sits in front of you and starts to take her shirt off. What are you going to do!" I tried to defend myself.

"He has a point, Logan! He has a fucking point!" Brett was now standing up and screaming to the top of his lungs to cause a scene. For a brief moment, making new friends did run across my mind. "I remember the first time Loya took her shirt off in front of me. You see, small breasts run in her family so for her sixteenth birthday she got a boob job." Logan and I groaned. "They don't feel super fake but you can like feel the silicone only slightly. They healed really well apparently."

Just then, his face softened and a second later he was embracing Loya in his arms. To my surprise, Paris was standing right along with her. "Hi, Ryan," she gushed. "Can we sit with you guys for the remainder of lunch."

"Of course!" Logan answered for us all. "Of course! You can have my seat." She cheesed when he got up from the seat next to me and she replaced his presence. "I actually am headed out. Got to read something."

I scratched my eyebrow at the awkwardness that was Loya and Brett giving puppy kisses and Paris and I sitting in silence. Someone had to break the ice especially since we were just flirting with each other five minutes ago.

"I like your shirt." She stretched it out from the bottom to show the full face of Michael Jackson. "My mom is a big fan of his. Actually, when my parents renewed their vows. She played Beat It while dancing for my dad's parents."

"Wow. That's quite a story." Her eyebrows raised as if she was shocked when really I was making a fool of myself. "So you used to date Alyssa," she said, shifting in her seat. "She actually came over and asked me about you which is weird because we don't know each other really."

Quick thinking was the only way out of this sticky conversation. "I'm over her. Unless you still have some lingering feelings for the girl." Using her palm to cover the laugh that escaped her lips, I saw a glimpse of the gold diamond ring on her ring finger. It looked almost like a step down from an engagement ring. Something similar to a gift.

Paris cleared her throat gently as her finger played around the cameras on the back of her phone that was face down on the table. "So my councilor told me I was exhausting myself. I freed my week to focus on classes, friends... one extracurricular activity."

She looked up at me with hooded eyes and my heart skipped a beat. "The condom broke," I admitted. It caught everyone at the table off guard including myself. "I should have told you days ago. I'm so sorry."

She quickly waved her hands before using them to cover her cheeks. "No, no. It's fine. That's... on my part it's good. It's unfortunate but it's... not going to turn into a huge deal unless you have... something."

"Me? No!" I heard Brett chuckle which reminded me that they were two inches away from us. "I just should have told you. That's all."

She started nervously twirling the ring around as if taking a few moments to think. Her gaze caught mine and she looked away just as quick. "Just forget it. Forget I ever... mentioned anything." She collected her things in one quick motion. I stumbled to my feet in hopes it would slow her down but she was already speed walking to the door.

I looked at Brett, who looked at Loya, who looked at him with an agitated glare. "Go after her, man!"

I couldn't think of anything else to do. So I went with that.