nineteen

"Ryan!" The coach yelled in my left ear loud enough to snap me out of my day dream. "Get up! And get out there!" He pointed to the ice where a few guys were lined up waiting on me. Like the wreck I am, I struggled to make it especially with all this gear weighing me down. "Give him the double decker! Never thought I would see him in the rink!"

I gulped as they slid towards me then came to a halt. I couldn't pin point who I was up against but there was one set of eyes I would never forget. "Andre? I didn't know you were on the team."

He shrugged. "I'm just here for the ones who are trying out. More important things to do with my time." He crouched slightly when the whistle blew once. "Excited to become an uncle?" I nodded with a fake smile. "That's one person you can't try and steal from me."

"I didn't steal her!" I shouted seconds before a man's shoulder collided with my body in an effort to get the puck. I was too busy listening to Andre's foolishness that I didn't hear the second whistle. I was thrown like a starfish across the ice in such a way that I couldn't help but groan.

Coach was hanging over the barrier and right over my face. Knuckles were white as he gripped the edge. "Get up! What are you doing? Counting sheep! Get up!"

I did as told and made my way back to the center once I was on my feet. Instead of paying Andre any mind, I listened for the whistle and kept my guard up. The puck slid across the ice and I was on its tail. Three others carried on right behind me as I tried to keep it in my possession. I was a few feet away from getting through the goalie when I was knocked down to the ice once again. I lifted my head up to see who got me this time only to see the smile on Andre's face. For some reason this pushed me over the edge.

"Get up, Richardson!"

He didn't have to tell me twice. The moment I got to my feet, I grabbed my stick by both ends and used it to press up against Andre's neck. He grabbed my hands in an effort to push me off. We were now struggling back and forth to hurt each other. He fell backwards and I fell on top of him after throwing my stick to the side. The screams got louder once I ripped the helmet off his head and started to wail my gloved fist at his face. Meanwhile he was getting a few hits in as well.

People rushed out on to the ice and the main voice I heard was Brett cheering me on. This gave me a bit of kick which was soon wiped away when I glanced up and saw the look of pure fear on Paris's face. I stopped in my tracks which allowed Andre to get a good enough hit in that it knocked me to the side of him.

"Richardson!" Is the last thing I heard before I was escorted to the main office in this building.

I sat in my own head as I tried to figure out what got into me. I've never been one to snap like that. The last time I hit someone was Tyler and that's because he's my brother and probably deserved it. I never thought I'd hit one of my classmates. And for what?

Just then, one of the double doors next to me opened and in came Paris. She searched the small room then stopped when her eyes landed on mine. I started to get up and explain myself but Andre came stumbling in right behind her. I remained in my seat as he walked by with those angry brown eyes. Paris, on the other hand, avoided all eye contact with me until he disappeared to the back of the hall.

"Gruesome," is all she said with a slight smile. "If you would have did a fair approach then he would have won."

I rolled my eyes as I see she's playing with me. "Why are you even talking to me. Aren't you the one who told me to leave you alone?"

"I'm the one who says a lot of things. Like... meeting me somewhere that I may or may not arrive to."

My face went serious as I started to realize what this was all about. It wasn't about me and her. Or even me or her. It was a power play. She loved doing just enough to drag me in then springing back if I fell too close.

Or maybe it wasn't if I fell too close.

"You were really starting to feel what I felt. So you went back to him so you wouldn't feel a thing." Her mouth closed slightly and I could see her heart beating through her chest. "You two don't love each other. I don't think Andre could really love you like you're supposed to be loved. And you're used to it."

"I won't arrive." She grabbed ahold of the door knob as I grabbed ahold of her wrist. One look at my hand wrapped around her made her gulp. "I haven't been honest with you."

"He's a transactional guy. One who does things on his terms and you get the last pick. I would never be like that with you. We can do unstoppable things. We can make genuine love. You just have to let me-"

She snatched her wrist from me and swung out the door in one quick movement. My body slouched as I tried to figure out what word did I say wrong. I do know that if I kept putting my heart on the line for her then I won't have one left.