four

"And that was fucking boring," says Brett while tossing his newly won football in the air. "What are you guys trying to do after this?"

Logan and I looked at him like he's lost his mind. I was more focused on getting home to explain to my parents why I had the neighbors take Tyler and Maya home. I knew they made up a bunch of lies so I would be forced to come home with them directly after school everyday now. I didn't know what about The Riley's van they hated so much. Last time I was in it there were TV screens for the backseat riders.

"You do realize it's a Monday. We have school tomorrow and a shit load of papers for our parents to sign. I don't know about you but my parents aren't going to sign them until they read them over five minutes before I have to head out in the morning." I quickly agreed with Logan even though I was going to sign these papers myself before I go to bed. "You can do whatever you want to do, man. I am going home."

Brett groaned as we all split in three different directions to our cars.

By the time I made it home, my dinner was in the microwave and everyone was ready for bed. Surprisingly I didn't get a lecture from my mom who was at the bar typing away business emails. "How was the afterschool activity? I heard there was prizes and food. A nice reward for talking your siblings into going with the Riley's."

"It was... as good as they always are. I didn't win anything but I do have a few scholarships lined up."

She looked over her glasses at me with a slight smile. "You wouldn't have to scramble for scholarships if you were in a sport." I rolled my eyes once my back was turned to her. "Plus those scholarships are just play money. You know your father and I have you covered especially with his affiliation with the presidents of California's top universities."

"Maybe I want to go out of state."

She took her glasses off her face to massage the bridge of her nose and I knew a small lecture was coming next. "You know what that did to your brother. He was out and about with no guidance. Barely just graduated college even. I at least want all my kids to get an education in a reasonable time." I slowly nodded in complete understanding. "Not saying you will be just like him but you kids have a habit of straying off task. Don't know where you got it from."

"When is dad going to be back? I need him to tell me about his life for an upcoming English project."

"His trip wraps up on the third I think. Haven't had time to check the shared calendar. How about you take a look."

That only made me more eager to go shower and get ready for bed. I gave her a kiss goodnight and headed upstairs where my second home awaited me.

"Maya and I are out of toothpaste so we used yours." Before I could even look to see who was speaking to me, a tube hit me right on the side of my eye. "Oh crap. I forgot your reflexes aren't up to par. Maybe come with me after school to the rec center and I'll help you out?"

I scoffed as Tyler raked his short brown hair backwards down his head. "You can't even walk. I'll take lessons from Maya before I do you."

"Suit yourself!" He limped back to his room that was connected to Maya's by a bathroom. When he closed his bedroom door I kicked the tube to his room since I had a fresh box in my cabinet.

I quickly stripped down to my boxers and pulled out the papers that needed to be signed from my back. Scribbling down a random squig that looked somewhat like a name is all I could manage to do before running to my bathroom to shower and do basic hygiene. Tired was an understatement.

 Tired was an understatement