Chapter 9

Archer stood in the driveway, tossing baskets when Silas's car pulled up.
"Hey kid" he smiled.
"You can come for dinner but that doesn't mean I have to talk to you" he muttered, throwing the ball again.
"How about a game?"
"A game? What am I 13?"
"Okay then a wager. You win I'll give you $20. If I win you can clean my car" he smirked.
"Easiest money I've ever made" he smirked back. They lined up and began playing but Archer kept easily beating him every time. Silas took of his jacket and tie and rolled up his shirt sleeves preparing to put his all into winning the bet. They lined up again but Archer won by miles as Silas was unable to get the ball once. Finally Silas fell to the floor, sitting he admitted defeat "I give in. I give in" he panted.
"My money" Archer smirked. Silas reached into his pocket and took $20 out of his wallet, handing it to him.
"Remind me to never challenge you to basketball ever again" He panted.
"I can't promise that seeing how easy the money was to win"
"Archer! Dinner!" Grace called from the front door she watched as Archer helped Silas up from the floor and the two of them walked to the house together. Grace stopped Silas from entering the house, waiting until he was far enough inside before she spoke to Silas "How did you manage that?"
"I'm terrible at Basketball. That's how" he smiled entering the house, leaving Grace at the door wondering what he meant.

Grace and Silas sat at the kitchen table with their children eating the dinner that Miles had prepared for them.
"Dad sucks at Basketball" Archer smirked.
"I'm better at suit wearing than physical activity" he agreed.
"You can make me a bet next time, I need $20" Oliver joined in.
"Dad I have a meeting coming up for my LGBTQ group and we're having some of the parents come in to talk about stuff. Me and mom have already had the talk, so I was thinking that you would like to come" Alex looked at him hopefully.
"That sounds great" he smiled. Miles muttered something under his breath, that sounded like a curse word, just loud enough for Grace to hear next to him.
"Miles" she warned.
"Don't come crying to me when he leaves you. Again" Miles shot back, leaving the table, his chair scratching the floor as he got up.
Grace washed the dishes after dinner as Silas dried them and put them away.
"Miles is a tough cookie to crack"
"He's protective of me, you only have yourself to blame" she reminded him.
"I know" he nodded "So I guess he made it hard to date then huh?"
"I told you before I haven't dated anyone or had sex with anyone or even touched myself since you left" Silas stood behind her, blocking her in with his arms either side of her.
"So you keep telling me" he breathed against her ear.
"Not with the kids in the house" she tried to keep her voice normal but it came out breathily. He pushed his crotch against her behind before he moved away.
"Your no fun"
"It's called being a grown up, try it sometime" she smirked.
"So, when does Alex go surfing?"
"Monday, she goes after school. Why?"
"I fancy some surfing" He smiled. 

Silas walked along the halls of the school with the secretary towards the meeting room.
"Right here"
"Thank you Mary" Silas smiled at her before she left. He looked through the window of the door, spotting Alex who waved at him before he went into the room. The other men in the room looked at him as he closed the door behind him.
"Hey dad" Alex smiled "You can sit behind me" they told him. Alex looked back at everyone at the main table "Welcome everyone. What are your names and pronouns?"
"I'm Tom, I identify as he/him. I'm gay"
"I'm Rachel, I identify as she/her. I'm Bisexual"
"I'm Finn. I identify as she/her. I'm trans and trying to find a new name"
"I'm Victoria, I identify as she/her. I'm a lesbian"
"I'm Alex. I identify as they/them. I'm non binary. Now we asked all of the dads to come here today so that they could ask questions, does anyone have any questions?" Alex asked.
"I don't think I'm comfortable with my son's sexuality" Tom's father, John announced.
"What makes you uncomfortable?" Silas asked.
"I want him to live a full life. I don't mind him liking men, at least it means he won't bring home a pregnant girl, but I want him to experience things like having kids and getting married" He explained.
"He can still do that. He can adopt or have a surrogate carry a baby for him and he can get married. I'm looking forward to the day that I get to walk Alex down the aisle to someone who loves them no matter what she- they choose to wear" he told them.
"I told you dad" Tom smiled at his father, squeezing his hand lightly.

Silas polished his newly bought board on the sand as a group of teenagers approached him.
"Dad?"
"Hey Pops" he smiled.
"What are you doing here?"
"Does your mom let you wear that?" He pointed towards her red string bikini.
"Yes she does. Now, what are you doing here?" She repeated, crossing her arms over her chest.
"I thought I would come surfing. I haven't been in years"
"Yeah sure" Poppy rolled her eyes, picking up her surfboard she headed down the beach towards her friends.
Silas sat in the water on his board watching Poppy and her friends. As they left, Poppy floated over to him.
"What? You want a competition?"
"How about $20 for the furthest wave rode?" He suggested.
"Easiest money I've made" she smirked. The two did some practice waves before they decided to do one for real. They both got up on their boards but Silas fell as he swerved to avoid someone.
"Ha! You suck" Poppy cheered. Silas swam up to her and pushed her board, sending her into the water.
"You suck" he joked as she popped her head back above the water. She splashed him playfully and he splashed back.

They sat at dinner once again, discussing what had happened that day.
"Dad sucks at surfing" Poppy told them.
"He sucks at all sports" Archer joined.
"The jury's still out on football" Oliver added.
"Hey I would love to give it a try or at least let you fleece me out of more money" Silas joked.
"Dad did great at my meeting" Alex smiled.
"All I did was show up and be polite" Silas shrugged.
"Everyone loved you. They all said that I had the coolest dad" Alex beamed "And he used my correct pronouns"
"I did slip up but I'm working on it"
"You did good dad" Alex told him, making him smile.
"So Oliver when is your next football game? Let's earn you that $20" he smiled.
"Tomorrow actually. It would be great for you to come, one of the guys is out sick and an extra person would make our drills easier" Oliver told him.
"Well, I'll be there" Silas smiled.
"We don't want you here" Miles bit back through his teeth.
"I know I've made mistakes in the past, son-"
"Don't call me that" he bit angrily "We don't need you-"
"Speak for yourself" Poppy shot back.
"He's an ass!" Miles shouted in anger, his hand slamming onto the table.
"Language!" Grace cut in.
"I like having a dad, especially ones that's as cool as ours. It's not up to you if dad stays, it's up to mom and dad" Alex argued.
"None of you remember how broken mom was when he left? He hurt her and you all act as if he's a saint!" Miles yelled in anger.
"He's not a saint but at least he's trying" Archer muttered.
"Fuck you" Miles bit at his brother.
"Miles language!" Grace told him sternly.
"He's going to hurt you and I can't bare to see him break you again" he said calmly before leaving the table, his chair scratching on the floor as he got up.
"I'll talk to him" Grace announced rising from the table. She went up to Miles room, knocking gently onto the door before she opened it.
"Hey" she muttered and Miles sighed in response. Grace closed the door behind her and crossed the room to his bed where he lay on his side, facing away from her. She climbed onto the bed and lay behind him, her head resting on his cheek, her hand on his shoulder.
"I know"
"Do you?"
"I know even more than you what went on, leading up to and after the divorce. But your wrong, about it breaking me, I cracked a little and there maybe a piece or two missing but you and me glued me back together. It's up to me to decide who I let into my life, not you. All you have to do is focus on yourself, your not the parent here, I am" he smiled against his ear.
"I hated seeing you upset. I love you mom and what dad did was horrible"
"I know. But like I said that's for me to decide what to do with. All you have to do is be polite at least for me, you don't have to like him or spend time with him if you don't want to" she told him.
"Okay" he sighed, squeezing her hand.
"Okay" she sighed, squeezing his hand back.