Chapter Three

"Where are you going looking so dressed up?" Emma asked Uhura jokingly as they passed each other in the hallway.

Uhura eyed her fellow cadet with some confusion. "The Captain's Dinner."

"Captain's Dinner? What is that?" Emma asked.

"Oh." Uhura quickly realized that she had not been invited or perhaps maybe Captain Pike had just forgotten that there was another Cadet aboard the Enterprise. After all, Emma had spent her first rotation in engineering, not the bridge like she had. "You didn't know?"

"No...I have no idea what you're talking about." She admitted.

"I hardly even know what it is. I think it's just an opportunity for the Captain to get together with his crew. I don't think it's a huge deal." Uhura tried to play it off.

Emma have a forced smile. "You're probably right. Well, go enjoy yourself."

She had only been on the Enterprise for two weeks, but she was starting to get the hint that there was something about her that Captain Pike did not like. He seemed to talk to every single crew member besides her. Finding out that she had not been invited to the Captain's Dinner only made the wound worse. It almost felt like she was in middle school again, being singled out. She would attempt not to let it bother her though. She wasn't there to make friends. She was there to become the best Starfleet Academy Cadet she could be.

She sat in the dining hall after she ordered herself some food through the synthesizer. It was quieter than usual in the large room, but then again it was also late and most people had already eaten or were at the Captain's Dinner. She didn't mind though. She actually enjoyed being alone for the first time in a few weeks. That was until her data pad started beeping. She pulled it out and smiled to herself when she saw it was her parents trying to call her. She hit the 'accept' button and their faces appeared in front of her.

"Oh! We've caught you at a bad time." Her mother concerned.

"No, no. It's quite alright. I'm the only one here actually." Emma assured them.

"Well, we were just calling you to see how your first few weeks have been going?" Her father asked.

"It's been great. Really. I'm about to finish up my rotation with engineering. I'm not sure which department I'll be in next. Everyone is very nice and welcoming." She told them.

Her mother let out a sigh of relief. She had been so worried for her daughter. Leaving home was always a hard adjustment. "How's serving under Captain Pike? He's a very good captain. I've spoken to him only a few times, but everyone here sings his praises."

Emma's facade faltered for half a second, but she once again plastered a fake smile on her face. "He's been uh, a little busy, but he seems...nice. We had to rescue his Number One my first day on the Enterprise. I think he was a little worried about that. He seems to be okay now."

"Okay. We'll let you go. You look tired, sweetheart. We love you!" Her father said.

"I love you both, too." Emma said with a small smile. As soon as she finished her call with them, the doors opened. Her eyes widened when she saw it was Captain Pike. She glanced at the time. It was late; close to midnight. His dinner party she assumed was over, but she still didn't know why he was in there.

He had a right to be in there obviously. She could feel herself starting to panic, but she didn't exactly know why. She had obviously done something to displease the Captain which meant she didn't want to exactly be alone with him. She watched from her distant table as he walked over to one of the food synthesizers. As he ordered something to eat, she wondered if she could sneak out without him noticing her.