Chapter Twenty Six

Marion and Joshua Coleman's parties, no matter the occasion, were always lavishly put together. Not one detail would be amiss. Everything was planned to a 'T.' From the napkins to the silverware to what drinks would be consumed. There were only a few details about her parents' extravagant parties that she did not like. For one, they were always formal. It didn't matter if it was something as simple as a birthday party. Emma supposed that's why so many enjoyed the party. It gave them the opportunity to dress up. The second reason was that even if the party was to celebrate Emma, usually most of the people invited were friends of her parents.

Her graduation party was no exception. It was just some excuse to show off their daughter. Of course Emma was honored and should be grateful, but there was something odd about being paraded around a room full of people you barely knew as if you were a piece of prized art. The only thing that was going to get her through the night was the alcohol and the fact that Chris was going to be there. Even if they could not be there as a couple, his very presence seemed to calm her down.

For the evening, she had chosen to wear a form fitting black dress that stopped mid thigh. It only had one sleeve that was long. She left her hair down, but pinned some of it back to keep it away from her face and she slipped on a pair of simple heels. It would be enough to cause her mom to raise her eyebrow at the outfit of choice, but she also hoped it was enough to drive Chris a little crazy. He had never seen her in formal clothes before and the Starfleet uniforms weren't exactly the sexiest article of clothing.

Her parents had already left hours ago to make sure the event space was perfect. Not that she minded. She was happy to have a moment alone. Once she was ready, she left the apartment and hopped into an elevator. A small transport waited outside for her that she had requested once she started to get ready. The hotel space that her parents had reserved wasn't a long walk, but it was nighttime and Emma wasn't a huge fan of walking alone at night.

Even from the outside of the hotel she could see how packed it was. Part of her felt almost overwhelmed that so many people wanted to celebrate her, but then again she was also worried they were only there to see her parents. She supposed it shouldn't have matter what the guests true intentions were. All she needed to do was show up, smile and shake a few hands. Soon she would be able to escape her parents' world and create a new life on the Enterprise.

The ballroom had been decorated perfectly. Tables were covered in black table cloths. Center pieces were made of candles and other small ornate items. On each table were photos of her growing up. Some were of her sitting in the Captain's chair aboard some ship. Others were of her with parents. Her favorite was one of her at a fair with her parents. She had cotton candy in one hand and a corn dog in the other. A crooked, innocent smile was plastered on her face.

It didn't take long for her parents and the rest of the guests to take notice of her. In an instant the room parted so she could join her parents and everyone clapped for her as she walked in. She could feel her cheeks burning red. She wasn't used to all the attention. She could see her mom was displeased with her outfit of choice. Her eyes raked over her dress, or lack there of dress and Emma swore she could see steam coming out of her ears. In an effort to maintain the image of being a perfect family, Emma hugged her mom even though her mom had been less than kind to her the last few days. She had made it well known to Emma that she was disappointed in her for not going into the Captain program.

"What are you wearing?" Her mother hissed into her ear as they hugged.

"A dress." Emma answered her with a sweet smile. She pulled back and hugged her dad tightly.

"Don't worry about her." Her dad whispered. "She needs a few drinks and then she'll loosen up. Now let me make a toast."

Emma shook her head. "Oh, no. You don't need to do that, dad."