Chapter Thirty Nine

While they had obeyed the request of the planet's leader by leaving the planet, they still stayed just above it's atmosphere. Chris was in a complicated position. Starfleet regulations stated that he needed to report any planet they found. Of course the planet had the right to refuse joining the Federation. However, the situation felt different. It was different. These were descendants of Starfleet officers. He also knew that one person did not speak for everyone. They were more than likely people on the planet that wanted to go back to Earth. He had to approach the situation delicately.

Emma knew Chris had been put in a difficult position. It was one she never wanted to be in which is part of the reason she never wanted to be Captain. She had managed to slip away from her work after she showered and her intentions were to check on her husband. She checked the bridge and ready room to find him not present. That usually meant he was in his quarters and wanted to be alone. Part of her felt that maybe it wasn't the most appropriate time to check on him, but he was still her husband and she still wanted to make sure he was okay.

She stood in front of the doors and pressed the chime button. More than likely, he wouldn't answer it if he truly wanted to be alone. He didn't know it was her though. A minute passed and he didn't answer the door. She bit her lip. Maybe she should just leave him alone. Still, she was worried about him. She pulled her datapad out and sent him a quick message: I'm at the door if you want to talk. If not, I'll go. I understand either way. Moments later the doors slid open and she found him hunched over his personal command table.

She walked over to him slowly and placed her hand on his back. When she glanced down at the table she found pictures of the USS Washington's crew. "I hope you aren't betting yourself up."

"I'm not." He promised her and stood up straight. "I just feel bad for them. What happened to the crew could happen to any of us. It's always in the back of my head. They probably felt so helpless. No one rescued them."

Emma nodded in agreement. "You're right, but they were also resilient. They adapted. They overcame. Their descendants are a reflection of that."

"I just don't understand why they don't want to leave. That planet doesn't seem like the most comfortable place to live." Chris said perplexed.

"Because two hundred years ago, Earth was different. The world had just began to come back together after the Wars and all that destruction that took place. The planet was dying. There was hardly anything left. Starfleet was an founded so they could find a new place to live. They didn't get to see what we see; unity, a healthy world, a happy society." Emma explained. "You can't make people see good though. All we can do is offer it to them."

Chris ran a hand through his hair. "I'm going to tell Starfleet. It'll take a couple days for the message to get to them anyways. Maybe they'll change their minds between now and then. Have you found anything interesting yet?"

"Not yet. To be honest I haven't even started. Clyde told us all to take showers before we step into the lab. He said we all stink." Emma said with a small smile on her face. It was true. She did indeed smell pretty bad. "I need to head back to the lab though. Try not to think about everything too hard. Just do what feels natural."

"You're good at that." Chris said and snaked an arm around her waist.

She looked up at him with a bit of mischief in her eyes. "Good at what?"

"Making me feel better."

"I'm suppose to be. I am your wife after all." She said and Chris leaned down to kiss her gently.

"Stay," he begged against her mouth. "I need the distraction."

"I would, but I can't. Clyde will kill me if I'm late. Besides, we agreed not to do anything while we work." She reminded of him.