Chapter Fifteen

"Excited to be back in our small beds?" Uhura asked Emma as she walked into the bunk room.

"Huh?" Emma asked, not hearing her.

Uhura narrowed her eyes slightly and moved to where she could see her fellow Cadet's face. When she did, she saw the source of why she wasn't responding. She looked like shit to say the least. Her eyes looked almost hazy and had deep bags under them. She looked like her mind was elsewhere. "Whoa. What happened to you?"

"Nothing. I just didn't sleep well while on leave. I guess I got use to the small beds." Emma said.

Her words weren't a total lie. She had in fact not been sleeping well. Her mother's words about Captain Pike and the way he looked at her had lingered in the back of her mind for days. It kept her up most of the night which meant no sleep. Part of her was dreading see him again. So far she had managed to avoid him for nearly the whole day back, but she was due to be on the bridge soon.

"Maybe you can fake sick and use that as an excuse to get sleep?" Uhura suggested.

"That's not a terrible idea, but I'll be fine. I heard you're doing your rotation with La'an. Mine was rough. I don't think I've ever been that sore in my entire life." Emma wanted to change the subject/distract herself from her impending thoughts.

"It's my first day and I'm already sore. I don't know how I'm going to survive. Speaking of which, if I don't leave now, she'll kick my ass."

Emma watched her leave before turning back to look at her bed. She considered Uhura's idea for a minute, but she knew she would be okay. Captain Pike did not have feelings for her. She took a minute to gather herself before walking into the hallway. She stood by the elevator and waited for it to open. When she did, she walked inside without even looking up to realize she wasn't alone.

"Emma? You okay?" Christopher asked.

She looked up at him wide eyes. So far her attempts at avoiding him weren't going well.

"Captain Pike." She greeted him. "And I'm fine. I just haven't been sleeping well is all."

"Did your parents run you that ragged?" He asked with a smile.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, they did."

Christopher knew something was wrong. She was avoiding looking at him. She called him 'Captain' even when he insisted that she didn't. Her bubbly personality wasn't there. Maybe she wasn't lying. Maybe she was actually tired, but he wasn't so sure. He wanted to press her further, but he didn't.

"Excuse me, Captain Pike." Emma said as the doors opened and she stepped out.

He tried not to let his eyes linger on her for too long as he made his way to his chair. She sat down stiffly and kept her chair turned around, away from him.

"Captain, we're receiving a distress call from a non-Federation shuttle. They say they're under attack." Una said, gaining his attention.

"From who?" Christopher asked.

Spock turned in his chair. "Scans indicate a small combat cruiser. Light armaments. Non-Federation ID."

"Shields up and take us closer, Erica." Christopher requested. When they did get closer they could make out a small cruiser being attached by a larger one. "Cadet Coleman, hail that cruiser please."

Emma tapped away at the control board. "No answer, Captain."

"Then get me an open channel. This is Christopher Pike of the USS Enterprise. You are committing an act of aggression. As the other vessel has appealed to us for help, I am obliged by both Federation law and my own conscience to intervene. I order you to stand down." He said. Just as he finished his small speech, the Enterprise was hit by some sort of minute blaster. "Damage?"