Chapter Thirty Six

Emma only returned to her quarters once after they fucked. She just wanted a fresh change of clothes before she returned to Chris' cabin. She had every intention of spending the night with him. She was able to avoid any wandering eyes as she walked through the ship. She had managed to beat Chris to his quarters after she had showered and changed. She didn't mind though. She enjoyed being alone in his room sometimes. She liked looking around at all the objects in his room that represented him.

She knew Chris preferred to cook, but tonight she didn't want him too. She just wanted to spend as much time as she could with him. She walked over to the synthesizer and requested a large pizza and breadsticks. While she waited, she flipped the fireplace on. It wasn't long until the smell of cheese and garlic filled Chris' room. She picked both pans up and brought them over to the counter. She placed two pieces on a plate as well as a breadstick before walking over to the couch and sitting down.

She had just taken her first bite of pizza when the doors slid open. She knew Chris hadn't been expecting her there when he paused. He looked confused and then a happy, boyish grin spread across his face. He walked over and leaned over to press a soft kiss to her lips.

"What was that for?" Emma asked while he went to fill his own plate up.

"What? I can't kiss my girlfriend?" He asked. "I also like seeing you when I get done with my shift."

Chris knew that wasn't the entire truth. He knew that in the future he wanted to marry her and he did, but he didn't know the exact moment when his future self decided that. That was the moment. The moment when he walked into his room to find Emma unexpectedly there. She was curled up on his couch, in front of the fireplace, devouring pizza. It was a simple moment, but he thought he couldn't love her more. He wanted to marry Emma. Sooner rather than later, but he was scared to tell her. There was still so much she didn't know.

"I could have cooked." Chris said as he sat down next to her.

"I know, but you always cook. Not that I don't mind, but I wanted to give you a break. I would cook myself, but I'm not in the mood too." She admitted.

"I wouldn't have minded. You know it's kind of like my destress-or."

Emma smiled at him. "You want to know how I destress?"

"It probably has to do with me." He guessed.

"You are correct, Captain Pike." She teased him and leaned over to kiss him. When she drew back, she rested her hand against his cheek and rubbed the rough skin with her thumb. "I love you."

Chris wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into his lap. His eyes lingered over her face. He wanted to marry her. He didn't want to wait a second longer. He was terrified though. He didn't know what she would think. Her future self had said that it had happened at the perfect time, but what time was it? Emma Pike. He liked the sound of it. "I love you too. I-I have a crazy idea."

"Oh, this should be good." She said entertained. She stopped with her teasing tone when his face turned more serious. She could see his chest rising and falling faster. She could feel his heart pounding. He was nervous which was rare for him.

"We should...I want..." Chris fought to convey what he was trying to say. "Marry me."

Emma froze. Shock entered her systems. Then denial. Then confusion. Marry me. What did Chris mean? "I-I'm sorry. What?"

"That came out more blunt than I was intending." He reached and gently held her hand in his. "I would like you, Emma Coleman, to marry me. If you want. I know it may not be the best time. I know we've only been together for eight months, but Em, I love you. I love you more than anything. There is nothing I wouldn't do for you. You make me...you give me a reason to live and breathe."