Chapter Six

"Stardate 2914. Since speaking with Captain Pike about his lack of noticing me, things have improved slightly. He no longer veers when he sees me coming in his direction. He'll say 'hi' to me in the hallways. I still feel like he's holding back from me though, not that it truly matters. Like I said, I'm here to learn. Speaking of learning, today we get to explore the planet Hetemit 9. It was abandoned the Illyrians years and years ago due to the ion storms. However, due to these storms, we aren't allowed much time on the planets surface. It doesn't mean I'm not excited thought. I get to assist Spock today which should be interesting. End log."

Emma closed out her data pad before getting out of the bed. Excitement was an understatement. She had never explored a planet with such an intense, dangerous environment. No one quite knew why there were ion storms, but Starfleet had hope that with every visit to the planet, they would understand it more. That is why she had joined Starfleet. Well, one of the hundred reasons at least.

She knew she was already running late as she pulled her jacket on. She shouldn't have taken the time to record a log. Her mother had insisted that it was important to do so. Breakfast would have to be quick much to her dissatisfaction. She enjoyed taking her time in the mornings, but not today. She quickly grabbed her other supplies before walking to the dining hall. Unfortunately, she arrived a little too late. When she walked inside, there was a line at every synthesizer.

She only had ten minutes to get to the transport room so she could be beamed down to the planet. She groaned internally. No breakfast today. She would be okay, she hoped. Just as she walked out of the dining hall she caught a glimpse of Captain Pike. He had something in his hand and she assumed it was food. The mouthwatering smell of it caused her stomach to growl. She almost turned around to go back into the dining hall, but to her, research was more important.

"You okay, Cadet?" Christopher called out as he noticed Emma with an almost blank expression on her face.

"Yes. I'm just wondering why we don't have more food synthesizers on this damn ship." Emma's eyes widened when she realized who she was talking to. "I-I'm sorry, sir. I didn't-that wasn't a jab at you. I'm just-"

"Hungry?" Christopher asked.

Emma could feel her cheeks reddening. "Yes. I'm not used to waking up so early to go off ship and I misjudged my time. I'll be okay though."

Christopher scoffed. "Like hell you'll be. You need to eat. Here."

Emma glanced down at his hands as he unwrapped something from foil. It looked to be some sort of burrito. She honestly didn't care what it was. "Sir, I can't take your breakfast."

"I'm insisting. I usually make too much for myself anyways." He said and held out the other half of his breakfast burrito for her.

She took it hesitatingly. At first she just took a small bite, not knowing if she would like it or not. A flood of flavors filled her mouth. Peppers. Onions. Spices. Eggs. Sausage. Cheese. It the best thing she had eaten in a while. "Oh my gosh. This is...really good. Better than the synthesizer. I had no idea you could cook."

"Thank you and yes. It's kind of my outlet for stress." He admitted.

"Well, I think you should abandon your job as Captain and go open a restaurant back on Earth." She paused. "I actually like baking. I haven't really had the opportunity to bake much since coming onto the Enterprise. It's the one thing I miss about home."

Christopher wanted to say 'I know,' because he did know. He remembered seeing himself trying whatever baked good she had created or walking in his room to see her preparing something with flour covering her face. "So, how do you feel about your first off world visit, officially."