Thirty

~ Annalise

My eyes stare aimlessly out the window, shame prickling my skin.

My eyes are open, but I'm not actually looking. I'm too far deep into my brain that it's a while before I become aware that we're back in his neighborhood, pulling up in front of his house.

He gets out wordlessly and walks around the car to open the door for me too. Unbuckling my seat belt.

His hand latches onto mine and guides me with him to his front door and inside.

The house is dark except for the TV emitting light, his dad is knocked out on the couch.

Quietly, we walk up the stairs and to his room.

He shuts the door behind him.

Still without saying anything, he goes to his dresser and takes out a pair of shorts and a shirt.

He walks back over to me and pushes the clothes to my chest. "Here, change into this."

I just look down to them and then back to him, then slightly nod. I don't wanna stay in this jeans, anyways. I feel like they're suffocating me even more.

When I'm about to turn around to go to the bathroom, he stops me.

"No, just change here, I'll turn around." His voice is still quiet and soft. With that he walks over to his bed and starts changing himself, facing away from me.

I swallow, a pit growing in my stomach, and begin taking off my shirt. As quickly as I can, I unsnap my bra and pull it off before pulling on his old t-shirt.

I then wiggle out of my jeans and pull on the basketball shorts. They look like they're from middle school, because these definitely wouldn't fit him now.

They smell like coconuts and I find myself taking a deep breath to smell more of it.

When I turn around, I'm met with the sight of his bare back, waiting for me to be finished.

I don't say anything, just walk towards him and take a seat on his bed.

I pull my knees up to my chest, still slightly shaking, but I've calmed down a bit.

I'm sniffling and trying not to cry anymore.

When I look up from my green stripped socks I see Reed sitting across from me, watching me worried.

"Sorry-" I go to speak again, but the words get caught in my throat.

"Shut up," he tells me and I smile. He smiles back but it quickly is replaced with the subtle frown and pinch between his eyebrows.

I suck in another breath and try to speak. "I- I don't know what happened- I just saw them and then-" That feeling appears in the back of my throat. That ball that tells me I'm on the verge of tears.

Don't cry. Stop crying. You look stupid and weak.

His hand reaches out and slides onto mine.

I stare at it and take a deep breath. His thumb reassuringly rubs my hand and I close my eyes.

"I- I don't know...what happened."

He just stares at me and continues rubbing my hand. "We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

I stare at his green eyes. The moonlight shines through the window and highlights the yellow specks. Half of lips are shadowed, but still look plump and soft.

"I just- I don't know- they started fighting and- It just reminded me of- and then suddenly I couldn't breathe- and-" I shut my eyes once more.

"Annalise." His voice snaps me back.