17

Word Count: 1843

~Kiva

Being back home feels good.

But my feelings of doubt about Caspian have chased me all the way back here.

You're a Princess. Don't forget your duty.

I grit my teeth as my fathers voice echo's through my mind, collapsing onto my stomach, unable to hold my weight up any longer.

Ark crouches down beside me, flicking my forehead.

"You're not focusing."

"It's hard to with your grating voice in the background," I snap, pressing my check against the floor as if I can feel the frozen ground beneath.

"I hardly speak during training." I can hear the frown in his voice.

Heaving myself up into standing position, I collect my throwing knives, flipping one over in my hand.

"I'm just feeling light headed, okay?" I mutter. And I'm tired, and not climaxing daily really is starting to bother me, although Ark doesn't need to know that detail.

"Drink water."

"I have been," I grumble. I drink water, I eat food. It's Caspian that has muddled my head, and most importantly, it's the weight of my obligations.

I feel like I'm moments from imploding in on myself.

Ark steps closer, grabbing my gloved hands. He scoops the knives into his, pulling them away from me.

"You're frustrated. Talk to me," he prompts gently.

I look at him, noting the concern, how genuine it is.

It's these brief moments that deceive me into believing Ark is redeemable, that he isn't just some hired killer who values my life as much as he is getting paid that week.

"Don't pretend like you care," I mutter.

His brows furrow. "Whose to say I don't?"

"You have a job to do. That's the only reason why you're here." I don't know why that hurts. He can't be blamed for that, and yet for some reason, it still bothers me.

He goes silent.

"Why else would I be here?"

I release a long breath. Why does hearing him say that hurt? Of course his reasons for being here aren't to be kind to me, or to care for my emotions. He's here to physically train me.

I turn away. "Never mind."

He grabs my arm, turning me back around.

"I take this job very seriously, Kiva," he murmurs lowly, the intensity in his eyes taking me aback. "It's why I haven't..."

He breaks off, letting go of me before his gaze sweeps away.

"Haven't what?" I press.

He swallows uncomfortably. Does he mean what I think he means?

Images flash through my mind. Images of Ark coming into my room late at night, pulling the covers off my body, and then my clothes.

And he would fuck me. Like he promised.
Blinking, I shake my head a little. All this tension between us is starting to get to me.

"You're getting stronger. Both mentally and physically," he says, instead of answering properly. He's not interested in sating my curiosity yet.

"I don't feel mentally strong," I admit, clasping either side of my head. "And what will all this be for if I am to marry Caspian soon?"