55

Word Count: 1964

~Kiva

I roll my head back, groaning.

Consciousness has struck me harshly and quickly, dragging me back up to reality. My vision spins, something on the back of my head aching sharply.

It slowly dawns on me that I was hit viciously on the back of the head.

My vision eventually starts to steady, the messy splotches of colour finally piecing together to reveal my father.

"Kiva," he says in a calm, steady voice.

I blink. I'm in the room where I saved Erin, tied down to the bed. When I lift my hands, they are weighted down by thick iron chains.

"Why am I tied down," I ask breathily, trying not to let panic overwhelm me.

"Did you follow me, sweetheart?" father asks, taking a tentative step toward me. Behind him are two guards who stare me down menacingly. "Did Ark have you follow me?"

I let out a long breath, trying to process what is happening.

My father now knows that I've learnt about what is going on here. I'm tied down in a place where girls before me have been tortured and murdered, and Erin is nowhere to be seen.

"It doesn't matter how I got here. Please untie me so we can talk," I beg softly, pressing my nausea down as I imagine the blood stains beneath the sheets.

"Once we are done speaking, I'll untie you," he assures me.

I clear my throat, needing to go into defensive mode. "I just didn't want to be left behind. I wanted to spend the weekend with you."

"You untied one of my girls."

I shudder. "One of your girls?"

He sighs, glancing behind him at one of the guards.

I raise my hand, gently touching the back of my head. I gasp at the bite of pain that follows, and when I pull my fingers back, they are smothered in blood. I almost gag.

Father turns back to me. "Do you know what this is?"

I swallow my pride. I need to get out of here, and fast. I look down and I see rivets of blood trailing down my chest from my neck, dipping between my breasts.

"Honestly? No."

"Who is Ark to you?"

"My kidnapper," my voice is trembling, which isn't acting on my part. I'm losing blood quickly, causing the edges of my vision to be plagued with a hazy vignette of darkness.

"Is he your friend? Do you work with him?" he insists, his patience starting to wane.

"No, I don't work with him," I snap, pressing my legs up to my chest. "I told you his name...I...I came back to you."

Once upon a time I would never have guessed my father could be capable of harming me. It didn't seem plausible, and yet now, there is a monster buried beneath his skin that I have yet to witness.

He may just kill me for what I know.

"I have been conducting this business for a long time, Kiva. I kept it from you, because I wanted you to enjoy your youth before having to face how royals like us make money," he explains tentatively.

So he was always planning on telling me.

"Did mother know?"

My throat constricts at the thought, a choked sob forcing through. The thought of the woman I loved so much being as evil as my father would be too much to bear.