31

Word Count: 1633

~Kiva

Dragging my fork through my vegetables, I keep my back pinned straight and my eyes lowered.

Tonight, I have three of Caspian's close friends visiting for dinner. Each have their own political significance, and each are boisterous and loud, which is not the company I assumed Caspian would keep.

"You know, I've always wanted to meet you, Princess Kiva," one of them, Charlie exclaims, grinning broadly.

I shift uncomfortably. "Really?"

"Sure. Everyone talks about the pretty Princess who lives in that castle that no one can get to."

I swallow uncomfortably, glancing toward the threshold of the dining room where I know Ark and another guard stand.

He will be hearing all of this, I just know it.

"You've wanted to get in to see my wife?" Caspian questions, chewing on a roasted carrot.

"Soon to be wife, and yeah, I thought about it." Charlie shrugs lightly, winking at me.

My stomach turns. Does he think this is charming?

The man beside Charlie holds his stomach as he laughs, nudging his friend with his elbow. "Of course you did."

"You must be excited about your wedding night, then," Charlie says, looking straight at me.

"I haven't thought about it much." Liar. I've thought about it a lot.

Since finding out Ark is my mate, the thought of having sex with Caspian repulses me. It's going to be expected of me on our wedding night, which is a horror I'm not ready to face.

"I bet you have, Caspian," Charlie exclaims, wiggling his brows at the Prince.

Caspian turns his head to look at me. "I will admit, it has definitely crossed my mind."

I turn away so he doesn't see my expression shift.

"I don't think I would get anything done if you were my wife, Kiva," Charlie continues. He really is just asking for me tip my glass of water onto his crotch.

Caspian is meant to be a gentleman, and by now, should be telling his friend to hush. I'm going to be his wife, not a pawn for his friends to shift around for their own amusement.

"Good thing she's not getting married to you then, huh?" The other man laughs, twisting his knife in his hand.

It may be blunt, but it would feel very good to stab it into Charlie's temple.

Caspian seems to finally sense my discomfort. "Maybe you should get some early sleep. Me and the boys want to hang out for a bit longer."

I get up, tossing my napkin into the table. "Whatever."

Storming from the room, I push past Ark without sparing him a glance, heading straight up to my room.

Ark has the good sense to not bother me for a few hours.

This is unbelievably frustrating.

Maybe Caspian got caught up in the moment and didn't realise his friends humour was making me uncomfortable. Maybe I should have said something.

Still...I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Midnight eventually hits, and I'm still not able to sleep. I keep playing the dialogue over in my head, hating myself for not sticking up for myself.

Stalking to the window, I shove it open. The cold night air chills my skin, a nice relief to the stuffy room.

A strange, eerie sound from down below has me tilting over the window sill at the ground below. Sure enough, Ark stands just outside the back door, the light illuminating his back as he looks over a figure on the ground.