32

Word Count: 1764

~Kiva

I rub my hands down the front of my pants, fingers trembling.

I've been summoned by an obscure letter left on my dresser to meet Caspian at his room tonight. I know what that means, but if I avoid this, like I want to, I may ruin the thin thread of trust between us.

He must have taken into account his past failure when he came to my room.

Thankfully Ark is off tonight. The guard having taken his place merely nodded in understanding when I told him I was heading to the Prince's room.

I just hope this doesn't get back to Ark...

I knock softly on Caspian's door, hoping he won't hear it and I can claim in the morning that I figured he was asleep.

Unfortunately, he opens the door, grinning at the sight of me.

"You wanted me?"

He opens the door a little wider. "Kiva. Come in."

Swallowing thickly, I stride into the impressively sized room. My eyes immediately draw to the large bed in the centre of it, dressed in a dark coloured duvet.

At least Caspian isn't naked. He wears a loose shirt and pants.

"Everything okay?" I ask warily.

"I want your opinion on something," he tells me, closing the door.

Swallowing uncomfortably, I turn around, tucking my hands behind my back. My mind is swimming with excuses to get myself out of here as soon as I can manage without making it obvious that I don't want to be here.

"Okay, sure."

He turns his attention to a small safe sitting on the shelf beside him. He quickly feeds in the code before popping it open, drawing something out.

My mouth dries as I realise it's a crown.

"Wow...it's beautiful," I breathe, watching him shift it around with the tips of his fingers, the light glistening along the gold surface, over every ridge and jewel.

My father has a crown he wears on certain occasions. He's promised me that I would get my mother's if I married the right man, although I somehow doubt he will be willing to part ways with it.

"My mother gave it to me for the wedding. I was hoping you would wear it," he murmurs, drawing his thumb over a ruby set into the front.

My mouth practically falls open. "Really?"

"It was hers when she was a Princess." He steps forward, setting it onto my head. "Plus, it suits you."

I smile, reaching up to touch it. It's heavy, as if it's cementing my reality. I will rule beside Caspian...

"Thank you Caspian. That's so kind," I breathe, drawing it off my head to hand to him. It's stunning, but with the amount of danger I'm in, it would be best if it stays in Caspian's safe.

Once it's safely locked up, he concentrates on me again, and immediately something shifts between us.

"You are truly the most beautiful woman I've ever seen," he murmurs, reaching out to grab my hand.

I let him, standing tense. I don't like where this is going.

"That's sweet," I respond tightly, tucking a stray strand of hair behind my ear.

He smiles gently as his soft blue gaze shift down to my lips, which seem to be his latest focus. I try not to shudder uncomfortably, thinking about Ark, my mate.