30

Word Count: 1914

~Kiva

Leaning my head back, I let out a long, slow breath.

It has been an awfully long day of following Caspian around while he shows off the manor and tells me all about the history of it. It's been a nice distraction, especially with Ark being told to keep away.

When he isn't there it's easier not to be reminded that he's my mate and I'm going to marry another man.

Sinking a little deeper into the bath, I let the hot water soothe my concerns.

Caspian and I have agreed to wed in a few weeks. It's sooner than I would like, but the less time I have to overthink this all, the better.

A firm knock sounds as the door, quickly followed by it opening.

I don't even bother to turn and look through the gap in the bathroom door. I already figure it's Ark. Caspian wouldn't dare come into my room without waiting for me to open it.

"Kiva?" Ark calls out, sounding tense as he scans my room, realising I'm not in there.

"I'm in the bath," I call out, drawing my hands through the bubbles. I knew he would come in here tonight, probably armed with something terrible to say about my future husband.

"I'll leave..." he says quickly.

"It's fine. It's not as if you haven't seen me naked before," I mutter, smiling a little at the memory. I liked the way his eyes glazed over at the sight of me.

Shaking the thought from my head, I turn to look at Ark. He still stands in my room, his back to me.

I sigh, pulling myself from the bath. He is deciding now is the time to be chivalrous?

"We need to talk about something serious," he exclaims.

Grabbing a towel, I wrap it around myself, stepping back into the room that Caspian has insisted now belongs to me, even when we marry.

Ark's attention shifts to me, his gaze travelling over me for a second too long to be considered innocent. If Caspian were observing, Ark would lose his job immediately.

"What is it?" I ask, wiping my wet hair off my neck.

Ark's expression turns grave. "There is another attack coming soon."

Here? I thought I was safer here in Caspian's territory. Ark would know about any impending attacks considering he's a part of them. I want to press him on that, but for now, I want to monitor his reaction.

"Tonight?"

"It may be tonight, it may be tomorrow night. Either way, you should be prepared," he tells me firmly, shifting to check the two windows in the room. We are on the second story, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them decided to scale up here to kill me.

I shudder, stalking over to my dresser. "Alright..."

"I know you're scared, but you've trained for this. I believe you're ready to stand up for yourself now," Ark assures me, sensing my unease.

Shrugging, I dig out the knife I have hidden in the bottom drawer of the dresser. Turning it over, I watch the blade glint in the light.

Caspian may not care that I choose to arm myself, but knowing how finicky Prince's are, there is no point risking it.

"Where will you be?" I ask casually, dropping the weapon on the bed before choosing what to wear.

"I'll be in here. Your other guard will be outside your door, and there will be more down the hall." He watches me move around with predatory attention.