27

Word Count: 1976

~Kiva

I've made a decision. One I'm going to regret, but right now it feels right.

He's going to have to admit it. He's going to have to tell me to my face that he aligns with the rebels and that this entire time he has been lying right to my face.

I should be angry about this, and yet I'm so numb I don't know what to feel.

Ark's stare is unrelenting at training this morning.

We don't speak beyond his usual giving of instructions until I'm doing my cooling down stretches. He leans against the wall , looking down at me.

"I shouldn't have done that to you last night," he murmurs lowly.

I look up at him through my lashes coyly. "Done what?"

"You want to make me say it?" He glances toward the gym door, as if someone may materialise to hear it.

The problem is, I'm being destructive. And selfish.

If I confront Ark, he loses his job - as he should - and I never see him again. The problem is, I want more time with him, to understand what's going on before he decides to be less stubborn and admit what both of us know.

I sigh. "I agree. It won't happen again."

Now I know his intentions are unsavoury, I'm not going to make the mistake of falling into his bed again.

Even though I know last night was the best sex I will ever have in my life...

"My job is to protect you, and I abused my power with you. I apologise." He could put more effort into sounding genuine.

Both of us know that were we put into another intimate situation like that, what happened last night would happen again.

I stare at him. "You don't always have to have the power, you know?"

"Protecting you comes before everything," he exclaims lowly.

"Even a mate bond?"

He frowns a little, looking down at his hands. "That was the last thing I suspected."

Me too. I thought my mate was far from being within the castle walls. I thought he was an average citizen who got caught up in the rebellion, not some skilled mercenary.

"I'm a Princess. I can't be with you," I remind him coldly.

I don't want to be harsh, but what other choice do I have? For me to bear being around him, there is going to have to be distance between us.

"I know." Usually he challenges me, but that solemn look in his eyes suggests he knows it's pointless. "Trust me, I don't expect anything to come from this."

I roll my ankles around, preparing to start. "Good. Because a relationship needs trust, which we severely lack."

Ark frowns a little. Does he not understand what I'm alluding to?

"Like I said. I understand," he responds carefully.

I sigh, wandering over to the weapons rack. He seems apprehensive to tell me to do anything, which is interesting considering usually he would be scolding me for being late, or for allowing my mind to wander.

At least he can no longer tell me not to get off anymore, considering he is the main catalyst to all my progress coming to nothing.

Although personally I can't bring myself to regret last night.