57

Word Count: 1839

~Kiva

"Ark!"

My head spins as I practically throw myself from the couch. Ark catches me in his arms, pressing me close against him.

"Hey sweetheart," he soothes, holding me for a beat before he pulls me back so he can examine me. "What the fuck happened to you?"

Dark, cold anger simmers in his eyes. He withholds it well, but I can see on his face, in the tension in his muscles that he's moments from exploding.

"A lot. Sit down," I encourage, pointing to the couch. It's mostly for myself because I feel like I'm moments away from fainting.

He guides me onto the couch before he sits next to me, his body turned to face me. He grazes his fingers over my skin, face, gently tracing over the bruises and marks that mar me. His jaw only tightens as I wince.

Slowly, his attention shifts to Louis, who stands back a little. "Did you do this?"

"No, he didn't. He saved me," I cut in quickly. If Ark so much as suspects Louis is involved, he won't hesitate to kill him.

He frowns. "Saved you?"

"You need to be calm about this, Ark," I warn. I don't want him ruining his plans out of anger. I'm feeling fine, despite the blood loss, faintness and the chill that is crawling over my skin.

"Are you in pain?" he asks gently. His ability to shift between empathy and anger is frankly fascinating.

"I lost a lot of blood, but I'm okay," I assure him. "I'm trying no to think about it."

"If you didn't do this to her, who did?" Ark demands, narrowing his eyes on Louis, who looks increasingly more uncomfortable.

Anyone would be intimidated. Louis's eyes are pinned to the knife strapped to the side of Ark's leg, and we both know there is more on him than that.

"My father did," I murmur, adjusting the bandage wrapped around my head. "I followed him to his business."

Ark sighs grimly.

"I figured. There were reports of him leaving and when I came for you that night you were gone," he explains. "Thankfully we had already decided we were going to tail him and one of my members reported a sighting of you and I came as soon as I could."

I exhale through my nose, letting myself relax. I should have known Ark would be right behind me. He's always there, always protecting me.

There has never been a time with him where I was in true danger.

"I'm so glad you're here," I tell him. I can't do this without him, and having him here, right in front of me is enough to make me burst into tears.

Ark looks back at Louis. "Why are you here?"

"I live here," he snaps.

Poor Louis went from confessing his desire to keep what we once had going, to watching me with my mate.

"He was forced to work for my father due to threats to his family. Please don't blame him, he actually got me out of there before...before something bad happened," I tell Ark, grabbing his forearm.

A muscle in Ark's jaw flickers as he looks between us. I don't think he knows the extent of Louis and I's history, but he knows we weren't just friends.

"Thank you," he tells him anyway.

"Did you know she was your mate when you kicked me out of her room?" Louis questions, folding his arms over his chest.