11

The next time she woke it was to sunlight. She was lying on her side, looking out of the window. Long grasses swayed in a gentle breeze and beyond them was the glinting ocean. Rolling onto her back, Kaitlyn breathed it all in as the sun poured in, warming up her body. The sheets were rumpled. She remembered Jacob getting up during the night with a vague word of apology before Kaitlyn had fallen asleep again.

She sat up and lowered her feet to the floor. She stood, her heart beating fast, not wanting to miss a moment of her new life. Her clothes were strewn on the floor and she was about to pick them up to wear them again, when she saw the chest of drawers. She went over and opened it.

Fresh clothes!

After changing into a cute little sundress and fixing up her hair, she went into the next room. Zeke was sitting at the table. He smiled as she entered.

'He's outside,' he said.

Kaitlyn hurried out. Shading her hand against the sun, she scanned the beach. A long stretch of emptiness. Then she turned her eyes to the water. He was out so deep she could barely see him. For a moment, Kaitlyn wondered how he could swim without his wings getting wet, then remembered that he was one of God's angels again and it no longer mattered. It was easy.

Everything would be easy.

Laughing, Kaitlyn pelted down towards the sand. The sun beat down on her shoulders. The beach was empty, not a soul to be seen except for Jacob and herself.

Without hesitation, she pulled off her dress and charged into the water in only her underwear. It was so uncharacteristic of her. She was usually so much more reserved, but things had changed so much. She had changed so much.

She dove under a wave, then came up for breath, the white water hissing around her. Memories of her childhood rose to the front of her mind. The scent, the taste, the feelings—they all washed over her like the crashing waves themselves.

She dove under another wave, then broke through the surface shouting Jacob's name.

His still distant figure turned. The water was up past her chest as Kaitlyn waited for him to swim over, his flawless dark skin gleaming in the sunlight, the water rushing over his broad back. He was so sinuous and skilled in the water, like a seal. He dove beneath the surface.

She part-screamed, part-laughed as his head punched through the water right in front of her. Grabbing her around the waist, he lifted her up, crushing her against his chest, his face buried in her wet hair. Kaitlyn clung back, tasting salt as she kissed him.

Jacob wiped away the hair from her mouth as he kissed her back. He let her go and Kaitlyn eased back into the water. She kissed his salty nipple, she kissed his sternum, then she kissed him down the abdomen. Finally, she grabbed him between the legs.

'Jacob!' she said in surprise.

He was naked.

Laughing, Jacob gestured at the beach. 'There's no one here.'

Chewing her lip, Kaitlyn reached below the surface, pulling off her underwear. Jacob helped with her bra. And then they were back embracing again. A wave smashed into them, knocking them both into the water but Jacob held onto her tightly, pulling her back to the surface. Lifting her into his arms, he carried her towards the sand. The water splashed around them. The sun gleamed against his hair. Just above his right shoulder, she thought she saw a shimmer against the sunlight, perhaps a glimpse of his ethereal wings, but when she tried to look more closely it was gone.

When they reached the sand, he lowered her. They weren't far from the water, the sand wet and hard against her back as he lay on his hip beside her, gazing at her, drinking her in. He stroked his fingers up and down her side before moving inwards down her abdomen and into her pubic hair. Kaitlyn spread her legs slightly, allowing him to stroke her.