Break Wallkin- Number 8: Justice

They say history was filled with life lessons and mistakes that should not be repeated, but how was one to do that... when history was written by the victors? All anyone could do was try to adapt.

'Magic' was the same way.

In this world called Gaia, the standard Magic System everyone knew about was simplistic. It was to the point that even a young child could understand its intricacies. Which was why literally everyone knew.

There was a story behind every little detail.

There was a way you counter attributes with their weaknesses. A way to 'break' someone like how you did with enemies in video games (a state that opened the individual up for way more damage than usual).

And most these aspects were 'discovered'. Not at all aspects a deity decided to tell humanity about. The people of Gaia had to find out themselves how magic worked, then organised themselves with a system.

Similar to how social history informed laws and carved the structure of society. Similar to how medieval Europe had decided on what benefited the ones in power, then held what kept them in seats.

There was an intricate relationship between benefits and leisure. One could call it the way humans had adopted the laws of the jungle into modern times. In some cases it was capitalism, and others it was...

...simply splitting up roles between one another.

An innocent remark until those below you became slaves for a higher caste. It would've been so easy for misdemeanour and corruption to spread. Even in the modern world, there was no solution for this.

People with power tended to evade responsibility. It wasn't a big revelation. It was very human to avoid responsibility when things became difficult. Maybe it wasn't the best part of people, but what can you do?

Mr Author and the readers were human too, right?

Maybe that's why this world was conceptualised a different way. There were certainly common medieval fantasy tropes sprinkled everywhere, but there was also an underlying difference in Gaia.

Humans now had their own distinct... flavour.

Something they were known for beyond 'being weaker than other races', 'no magic', and other traits that seemed to imply they were moronic monkeys compared to elves. Which was true to an extent.

They were defined as beings of 'law'. Following the path of order. Humanity had been personally given roles and responsibilities by the world. Known as being the ones who were the closest to Gaia.

Which was how the 'Gaia Religion' came about...

It started from the innocent common-folk.

The power of a 'Common Rank' individual would only have the base natural magical power. Their power level had decided what anybody would be capable of producing. What was called average.

It was the staple Rank for a citizen of any of the five kingdoms. Something most wouldn't even hope to surpass. It wasn't like increasing power appealed to those who loved peace. This was their mundanity.

Conversely, those above the 'common' level of strength who were considered that of the 'Noble Rank'. They each had an extremely small number of exclusive super-moves called 'Spell Slots'.

They were something Alex was always envious of...

A 'Spell Slot' was as the name suggested: It was an individual's own personal stored power. An ultimate that was consolidated into a formless power. It could only be used once a day. Then refreshed at midnight.