Chapter 8: Brandon Volts and The Church (3)

What did Brandon do after seeing his two students again? The first thing he did was have a bath and change into pristine white gloves that matched the colour coding of those who were of 'The Order'.

"It was Alex's (Arthur's) idea!" They both pointed at each other. Where did their camaraderie go? Maybe it was due to being dragged into the sanctuary and glared at for a good few hours. That did the trick.

Brandon was 'intense' that way...

The camaraderie between these two was paper thin once you applied enough pressure to them. They were originally opposites anyway. This much backstabbing was in the norm for the duo.

Though Brandon seemed to be listening to their squabbles on the outside, he was actually thinking about what happened earlier. His eyes looked over the hand he had used to punch Arthur's chin.

He had healed Arthur's injury, but could still remember the pain he felt after hitting him. It felt like his fist hit a guardian's shield rather than his student's chin. How hard had he been training?

No, these two youths could never be judged with common sense. They wouldn't have been able to beat that fake cult leader if they were easy to beat up... An idea popped into Brandon's head as he stood up.

The two troublemakers quietened down.

Not courageous enough to fight Brandon fairly.

Especially after their first adventure...

They had enough rationality at this point.

If life had taught them anything, then it was that there was no meaning in a 'fair fight' unless the battle had purpose. Brandon also understood their mindsets after he remembered their time together.

Now that he thought about it, this scene gave him déjà-vu. He remembered the first time he met them was when they were chasing down a boar that he just so happened to 'kill steal'. It was its own story.

Their big argument about who kept the meat turned into a full-on brawl, which he won of course. Both of them were immature and not nearly as strong back then... They were mostly whining kids in his eyes.

And especially brutal little kids at that.

Brandon's family jewels could testify to that.

Now, they on the verge of finally growing up... The mentor no longer had to secretly protect them, or have to keep an eye on them so they wouldn't die somewhere. The two of them were independent.

He just wished they could stop acting like this.

They were worthy of being people he can put his faith in, but still fell short of his expectations in personality. They were too chaotic. Acting solely for their personal benefits rather than a greater cause.

It's why he always had to request them of things.

"I need you two to help me." Their mentor had said.

"...You want 'our' help?" Alex was the first to ask, as this was the first time Brandon requested anything of them directly. They'd gotten used to him looking down on them as children... rather than adults.

This irritating look made Arthur argue:

"You're joking! You want us to work for free, don't you? This is just free labour, isn't it? You always used to trick us into free meals. Now we're older and you still think we don't have brains? You're not-"

"You get to fight people." Brandon sighed.

Knowing what reaction he'd get.

"Where can I sign in?" Arthur's demeanour shifted as he looked like a professional mercenary asking what their job would be. Alex face-palmed at this scene while Brandon was giving him a smug look.