Chapter 4: Evil has been Reformed

"Don't worry, 'We' aren't going to harm-"

"Arthur, RUN!!! They're here to harm us!"

Alex had no mind to listen to the priest. Visions had started clouding his eyesight. The psychotic looks of those cultists flashed in his head. Their strength. The sheer commitment they put into hunting him down.

I kinda felt bad seeing how traumatised he was. The memories of those times were likely still fresh. There was deep distrust in Alex's eyes. Not even the least bit moved by the statements the priest had made.

Who'd believe what the priest was saying?

In fact, it sounded more ominous for him NOT to 'cause harm'... What was this villain planning to do to them? Alex was about to run, but his friend had instead taken a different approach on the matter.

Arthur stood his ground.

"Take me to your leader!" Rather expectedly at this point, Arthur didn't take his bro's pleas into account a second time. Instead, he angrily spoke a single demand with a righteous tone. Alex couldn't believe this stupid meathead had challenged their boss!

What made him think this Cultist would do that?

His mouth-gaping appearance on the verge of dislocating his own lower jaw. I myself was also astounded by his... 'straightforwardness'(?). Wait, I was getting a sense that Arthur thought this was a genius idea. He really thought this plan would work!

(°□°)

No, Arthur... Stop looking at them like that. Don't you see how embarrassed Alex is? He's getting ready to leave you there. Seriously, stop looking like you won something. Even the priest is getting awkward.

Thankfully, Alex recovered and whispered to him:

"Bro, they are not aliens!" The nerdy lad quipped sarcastically at the side. Though I guess only he himself knew this old pop culture reference. If meeting their leader was so easy, they would have been able to find the true 'Final Boss' years ago.

What possibly made Arthur think they'd agree?

"I got to make a distraction..." Alex thought and threw the black rune he'd recorded on his 'Arcane Fingers' technique. Knowing that he'd have to let go of a lot to escape. Leave behind some valuables.

He planned to throw most of his personal assets around to cause the crowd to fight each other. There were a lot of rare materials from all over the world among his vast riches... Enough to make a mew millionaire from what they could sell them for.

Some could even heal the sick and frail.

Treasures rarely seen in Lancia.

Dragon scales, phoenix feathers, giant meat, harpy claws, etc. Only the most recognisable ones were to be thrown. It wasn't like everyone knew or could figure out the value of his truly rare riches anyway.

However, Alex was only halfway through his action before the world seemed to slow down. Whether it was the birds in the sky or the people surrounding them on the ground... everything had became still.

A grey hue covered the entire world as he knew it.

The only ones who seemed to be able to move in this frozen world were: The gentlemanly priest still giving Arthur a look of superiority, the incoming new arrival, and himself. Only three could move.

Arthur was the only exclusion.

He stood there motionless like a statue. Still sporting that self-satisfied look after asking the impossible from an enemy. The abnormal and sudden change in circumstances caught Alex completely off-guard.