#43 The twists in our paths

Shiva

The following day around dawn, there is not a moment to spare. Given the weather in the mountains is unpredictable, the state-level tournament martial art begins as early as six a.m.

Shiva recalls his promise to Dhruva as he freshens up, bathing and getting into a new outfit. Any traces of sleep vanish from his eyes as he pulls a camouflage jumper over his black tee.

Despite him thinking he'd dream of professing his love to Akshara in his dream, nothing of the sort happened. His sleep had been sound and dreamless.

Akshara wakes up a little later, perhaps thanks to a chirpy Soldier who's as good as any alarm clock. Shiva hears her voice before he finds her poking his head into his room, sliding aside the bamboo curtain.

In her hands is Soldier munching on his morning treats — fresh berries she got for the bunny.

"Soldier is too cute when he eats! I thought you wouldn't want to miss it!"

Shiva bobs his head hearing Akshara's words. They sit on the charpai, fussing over Soldier for a bit, talking about this and that, but not for long.

Learning the tournament in which Dhruva is partaking must have already begun, Akshara voices her excitement about wanting to witness his performance in person.

"Let's go!" She declares rushing up but frowns looking at the fact that she's still dressed in her PJs. "Oops, I will freshen up first! Please wait here, Shiva! Don't leave me behind, okay? I can be lightning fast, so I'll join you in a jiffy..."

Shiva laughs as she leaves, sliding the bamboo curtain back in place. Scooping up Soldier, he walks out of the lodgings and plops down on the veranda.

There aren't tall buildings to obstruct the morning sun rays. The just risen sun colours the sky in hues of orange, purple and pink. Shiva appreciates the sight, stroking Soldier's fur until Akshara shows up, fully dressed in jeans and a pale yellow top.

She's wearing the bunny hoodie she recently purchased, and also has the sling bag ready for Soldier to hop into. As if he got the cue, Soldier Wiggles out of Shiva's arms now occupying his spot in her bag.

"That's a good boy!" Akshara praises Soldier and Shiva chuckles.

Exchanging smiles, they rush to the dhaba for a quick refill of some chai and delicious parathe.

"Parathe wrap kar do, Uncle Ji!" Akshara says, not wanting to waste a second, perhaps.

When Shiva throws her a questioning look, she shrugs. "Who can eat such a heavy breakfast around sunrise? Besides, aren't we gonna be late if we keep this up here?"

She points to the little dhaba and Shiva nods.

"I can't wait to see Dhruva in action. He's damn good. I think he's bound to win this tournament!"