before

Cleaning out your room wasn't exactly your favorite thing on your to-do list, but it meant one good thing: you were finally leaving home.

You had been waiting for this moment since you were old enough to start formulating your own opinions. Because of that, you and your family constantly fought over your differing ideals.

You sighed as you sat down on your childhood bed, memories filtering through your mind. You had had your very first kiss in this room. Granted, it was your best friend, but you thought it should still count.

Your eyes wandered over to the desk tucked away in the corner. An old monitor sat on top of it, and below it was the computer. You had begged your parents to buy you one, even using money that you had earned. You had yet to search through the drawers of the desk, knowing that they would all be filled with crumpled up homework papers.

All but one.

You got off of the bed and knelt in front of the desk. You opened the bottom drawer on the right. It slid out easily, revealing the disc cases that were its contents.

You smiled to yourself as you read the titles on the spines. Years of nostalgia came crashing into you, an overwhelming sadness accompanying it. You sat back on your heels for a moment, deep in thought. Then, impulsively, you began to pull out each case, checking to make sure the game disc was still in there before you put it into one of your boxes.

You got down to the final two. You pulled them out together. Minecraft Story Mode, seasons one and two. You remembered when the first one had come out, how excited you had been. The wait between each episode had always felt like forever.

You placed the games on the top of the ones already in the box. You got up and scanned the room, trying to remember if you had missed anything. Thinking you had done a pretty thorough job, you precariously stacked three boxes on top of each other and carefully carried them downstairs and out to your car. You repeated the process until your car was full of boxes containing you things.

On your way to and from the house, you didn't encounter any of your awful family members. You had purposely come at a time where you knew no one would be home; you were tired and you didn't want to deal with their shit today.

Once you arrived at your apartment, you quickly unloaded the boxes. You left them scattered haphazardly around your apartment, save the one with your old games.

You sorted through them all until you finally found both Minecraft Story Modes. You turned on your computer. You plucked the first game from its case and inserted it into the disc slot on your computer. It took a while, but eventually the game started.

You quickly made your way past the title screen and onto the episode list. They had all been completed by younger you, so you chose to restart episode one.

The first time you had played the game, you had made sure not to skip over any dialogue, talking to every character you could. But not now. No, this time you were going for the world record.

Time to speed run, bitch.

———

Your speed run lasted exactly four minutes and twenty-three seconds before you gave up on it. About an hour after you had started the game, you began to grow bored. Sure, you loved Minecraft Story Mode and the memories it brought with it, but you had a really bad attention span. You had also gotten no sleep the night before, opting to rewatch your favorite show. Sleep was for the weak.

You got up from your chair and stretched, listening to your bones pop and crack. You yawned loudly. Maybe taking a nap wasn't such a bad idea.

You checked your phone. It was about four in the afternoon. If you slept now for about two hours, you could get some takeout when you woke up. Yes, a nap would be a good idea.

You wandered over to your couch and collapsed on it. And though this had never happened to you before, you fell asleep immediately.

Literally have no idea who's gonna be reading this bullshit. This is honestly just for fun. I don't expect this to get a lot of reads because it's been seven fucking years since the game came out.

Ok bye now