Chapter 23

Has your gut ever warned you something wasn't right?

Chapter 23
***

I avoided the knowing glances cast my way by wolves who'd now heard, or seen themselves, that I was courting the Alpha. Embarrassment didn't stop the grin splitting my face though, nor the giddy feeling that ran like adrenaline through my veins. It must have been infectious, for many couldn't help but grin back or chuckle as I swept past in a happy daze for once.

I had to find Astrid. She would want every detail of my afternoon with Hati, would probably find a way to seat herself at our table tonight so she could watch the night unfold.

She scoffed when I said as much after I found her in her den. Farrin had left to run the border, and Astrid handed me a small bone comb and sat on the floor in front of a stool, a silent demand for me to rebraid her hair.

Her head fell back to peer up at me with mischievous blue eyes, a sly smile curling her lips. "Nevermind me, half the pack will be trying to sit nearby when they see Hati with you. I never liked that damn head table for the highranked. There should always be hierarchy, of course, but pack are meant to eat together. An Alpha shouldn't be some unapproachable figurehead lording over those below."

"You may have a point."

My friend smirked and lowered her chin again so I could finish braiding. I was so used to the fine strands of my sister's hair that I was finding Astrid's thick flaxen mane a challenge.

"Maybe I will bring it up to him," I continued. "It would be bonding for the pack to eat with their Alpha from time to time. Much is discussed at meals he might like to hear. . .and I think he too would benefit from being closer to his wolves. He might feel less lonely."

"You think Hati is lonely?"

My fingers paused in their work. I did think so. I believed his position, the strength and confidence he had to exude all the time, cut him off from truly feeling like he was Alpha of a pack and not. . .not. . .commander of an army? Jarl over his peasants? He played the part of protector better than any, but he held back from being the carer. The father figure for all, maybe because he had never had such a figure himself to learn from.

"Can I ask you something?" I swapped tactics, because I knew Hati would be upset if I'd spilled as much to his cousin.

Astrid didn't seem to mind anyway.

"Of course."

"Where is your father? I've only heard mention of him in passing. I don't think anyone's so much as said his name. I only realised when Hati mentioned him again earlier today as 'Eirny's mate'."

She stiffened, which was so uncharacteristic of her that I thought she'd been physically hurt in some way until she let out a soft breath.

"They weren't mates, not really. Not in the true sense, I think. Mother always told me he was a wolf, a nomad like you, but he travelled alone. She would tell me the story of how they met, the year they spent together, how he died before I was born. Hati and Magne told the same story when I asked, nearly word for word. And the skinshifters I grew up with, who were supposedly his pack for a while, always avoided when I asked questions about him, or his death."

"That is. . .odd."

Why would her father's pack be so reluctant to talk about him? Those we lost were kept alive by stories and memories; to feel grief and cry for them to love them still.

"Odd," she repeated humourlessly. "That was what I always thought. Mother led me to believe that he died in one of Skoll's final attacks before he retreated, yet, when I wasn't yet more than a pup, I overheard her speaking to Magne about him. She asked Magne if he thought my father knew I existed, and if he didn't, would knowing bring him back."