Chapter 19: Acting Strange

AERO's POV

We all sat in a circle around the fire as music blared from behind us. I buried my feet underneath the sand and wiggled my toes around as Patrick stood up and asked for Aurelie's hand. With the glow of the fire reflecting off of their skin, he twirled her around again and again until they both collapsed onto the sand.

I looked over at Thomas who grinned as he and Cole made small talk about some book called, "The Grand Mess of Cleoville".

On the other side of Cole sat Parker who leaned all the way back, half sunken into his foldable chair. He held a red cup in his filled with some kind of alcohol that he had already refilled at least four times. He stared directly at the fire expressionless making it impossible to know what he was thinking about.

I looked back over at Thomas and anxiously bit the inside of my cheek. Why was he so quick to decide when we were leaving? I still didn't know how I felt about him not talking to the rest of us about it before.

I raised my cup to my mouth and took another small sip. I squeezed my eyes shut as the sour taste went down my throat.

"Hey," I heard Thomas say quietly to me.

I opened my eyes to look at him.

"Everything okay? You've been awfully quiet today."

I showed a fake smile and nodded my head.

Before Thomas could call me out on the fairness, Parker began to speak.

"So Thomas,'' he leaned forward with his forearms resting on top of his thighs.

This should be good. I nervously squeezed my cup between my hands.

"Did you play any sports growing up?" Parker asked casually.

Not where I thought this was going.

"No, not really," Thomas cleared his throat quickly and sat up a little. "How about you?"

"A little basketball, here and there," Parker answered with a smirk.

"I've never actually been to or seen a basketball match," Thomas scoffed at himself.

What is happening right now?

"Basketball game?" Parker chuckled. He uncomfortably cleared his throat and said, "We'll have to go to one sometime."

Are they having a normal conversation right now?

"That would be...great," Thomas agreed.

Thomas and Parker. Parker and Thomas. Having a conversation. Together. Without it ending in a fight.

"I'm gonna go grab another drink," Cole said standing up.

"Ill come with!" I said standing quickly holding my newly empty cup.

As we walked by the fire Harry returned with his two friends Rye and June.

We waved as we passed each other and then continued towards the house.

I carefully took the step up through the glass slider door into the house as to not fall on my face. I followed Cole into the kitchen near the fridge.

I took a seat at the black granite island that stood in the centre of the kitchen.

Cole grabbed two more beers from the fridge and began to pour them into our cups.

"Its so weird," I said resting my hand on my chin. "They were talking. To each other!"

Cole laughed and nodded his head. "I know. apparently it is possible for them to get along."

I chuckled as we both thought about it.