ii. highway to hell

"so, who wants to drive?"

"You're um waiting for sunrise?" Cassandra heard Percy ask, Artemis.

"For my brother. Yes." The goddess responded, as she glanced at the sky.

Percy looked confused.

"It's not exactly as you think" Artemis said.

"Oh, okay." Percy replied "So, it's not like he'll be pulling up in a—"

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth.

"Don't look" Artemis advised. "Not until he parks."

Cassandra looked away along with everyone else. The light and warmth intensified until her parka felt like it was going to melt off. Then the light suddenly died.

Cassandra looked and she found the red convertible Apollo constantly drove. The red metal was glowing. It was so hot and the snow had melted around the car in a perfect circle, which must've been why she was standing on green grass with wet shoes.

The driver got out, smiling. He looked seventeen or eighteen. "Wow," Thalia muttered from beside her "Apollo is hot." 

"He's the sun god," Percy said, obliviously.

Thalia rolled her eyes "That's not what I meant."

"Little sister!" Apollo called. If his teeth were any whiter he could've blinded them, without the sun chariot. "What's up? You never call. You never write. I was getting worried."

Artemis sighed and she could practically hear the eye roll. "I'm fine, Apollo. And I am not your little sister."

"Hey, I was born first."

"We're twins! How many millennia do we have to argue—"

"So what's up?" He interrupted. "Got the girls with you, I see. You all need some tips on archery?" 

Cassandra rolled her eyes and opened her mouth to respond.

Artemis grit her teeth. "I need a favor. I have some hunting to do, alone. I need you to take my companions to Camp Half-Blood."

"Sure, sis!" Then he raised his hands in a stop everything gesture. "I feel a haiku coming on."

The Hunters all groaned. They were all sick of his stupid haiku's

He cleared his throat and held up one hand dramatically, 

"Green grass breaks through snow. 
Artemis pleads for my help.
I am so cool." 

He grinned waiting for applause.

"That last line was only four syllables," Cassandra pointed out.

Apollo frowned. "Was it?"

"Yes. What about I am so big-headed?" Artemis suggested, crossing her arms.

"No, no, that's six syllables. Hmm" He started muttering to himself.

Cassandra turned to the confused demigods. "He's been in this stupid haiku phase since he visited Japan. At least it's better than Limerick, because I swear to gods if I had to hear another poem that went, 'There once was a goddess from Sparta—'"

"I've got it!" Apollo announced. "I am so awesome. That's five syllables!" He bowed looking very pleased with himself, "And now, sis. Transportation for the Hunters, you say? Good timing. I was just about ready to roll."

"These demigods will also need a ride," Artemis said, pointing to the demigods. "Some of Chiron's campers."

"No problem!" Apollo checked them out. "Let's see... Thalia, right? I've heard all about you."