xiii. heroes

"hope survives best at the hearth"

"What were you thinking?" Clarisse cradled Silena's head in her lap.

Silena tried to swallow, but her lips were dry and cracked. "Wouldn't... listen. Cabin would... only follow you."

"So you stole my armor" Clarisse said in disbelief. "You waited until Chris and I went out on patrol; you stole my armor and pretended to be me." She glared at he siblings. "And NONE of you noticed?"

The Ares campers developed a sudden interest in their combat boots.

"Don't blame them" Silena said. "They wanted to... to believe I was you."

"You stupid Aphrodite girl" Clarisse sobbed. "You charged a drakon? Why?"

"All my fault" Silena said, a tear streaking the side of her face. "The drakon, Charlie's death... camp endangered—"

"Stop it!" Clarisse said. "That's not true."

Silena opened her hand. In her palm was a silver bracelet with a scythe charm.

The mark of Kronos.

Percy looked pale. "You were the spy."

Silena tried to nod. "Before... before I liked Charlie, Luke was nice to me. He was so... charming. Handsome. Later, I wanted to stop helping him, but he threatened to tell. He promised... he promised I was saving lives. Fewer people would get hurt. He told me he wouldn't hurt... Charlie. He lied to me."

Behind them, the battle raged. They barely noticed.

Clarisse scowled at her siblings. "Go, help the centaurs. Protect the doors. GO!"

They scrambled off to join the fight.

Silena took a heavy, painful breath. "Forgive me."

"You're not dying" Clarisse insisted.

"It's okay" Cassandra said, trying to hold back sobs. "You died a hero, Lena. We all forgive you."

Silena slightly tilted her head. "Tell, Drew... that I'm... sorry" She said, painfully. "I... love you, Cassie."

"I love you too, Lena" More tears ran down her cheeks. "Me and Drew will take care of the cabin. You'll make it to Elysium. And you'll get to see Charlie."

Silena smiled. "Charlie..." Her eyes were a million miles away. "See Charlie..."

She didn't speak again.

Clarisse held her and wept. Chris put a hand on her shoulder.

Cassandra did her best to keep the sobs from escaping, but she didn't see any point in trying to stop the tears.

Finally Annabeth closed Silena's eyes.

"We have to fight" Her voice was brittle. "She gave her life to help us. We have to honor her."

Clarisse sniffled and wiped her nose. "She was a hero, understand? A hero."

Percy nodded. "Come on, Clarisse."

She picked up a sword from one of her fallen siblings. "Kronos is going to pay."

╰┈ ⋆。˚ ❀ *· 🌬 ࿐ ࿔ ˚:⋆ ✧・゚

Cassandra wasn't thinking as she fought. Her body was moving, and killing monsters but her mind was a hundred worlds away.

None of it really mattered, anyway.

Clarisse could have probably taken down the rest of the enemy army, single handed. She was a demon on the battlefield, even without her armor and spear.