v. heroes... kinda suck

"ask cassandra"

The morning after the council meeting Cassandra woke up before the sun had risen. She was still furious with Zoe, but needed to go check on Phoebe in the infirmary, after the Stoll brothers pulled a prank that landed her there.

She got up, and got dressed. Since she was going to be at camp all day, she put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Even though she didn't need it, she zipped her parka up over her shirt, and shoved her dagger into its sheath (which was, conveniently located in the pocket of the parka).

After lacing up her converse's, she made sure her silver charm bracelet was still on her wrist, before exiting the cabin.

She walked toward the Big House, but paused when she saw Nico di Angelo peeking out from a pillar that faced the dining pavilion.

He was crouched behind it, watching someone. Before she could ask him what he was doing, a hand latched onto her wrist and pulled her behind a different pillar.

In an instant, her dagger was in her hand, and pushed up against the person's throat. When she looked, she didn't see anyone.

"It's me" They whispered. "Percy."

A minute later, he appeared in front of her, holding a blue New York Yankee's cap in his hands. "Could you, uh, not slit my throat?"

"Don't do that, Jackson" She grumbled, but pulled her dagger away and shoved it into her pocket.

He slapped his hand over her mouth (which she then licked, causing Percy to remove it), and pointed towards two girls— Bianca and Zoe. They were arguing.

"It cannot be cured" Zoe said. "Not quickly at any rate."

"But how did it happen?" Bianca asked.

"A foolish prank" Zoe growled ."Those Stoll boys from Hermes cabin. Centaur blood is like acid. Everyone knows that. They sprayed the inside of that Artemis Hunting Tour t-shirt with it."

"That's terrible!"

Cassandra frowned. She was going to visit Phoebe in the infirmary before Percy stopped her.

"They will live" Zoe said. "Apparently, Addison ate something with peanut butter in it. She has an allergy. They'll be bedridden for weeks."

"But the prophecy" Bianca said, "If Phoebe and Addison can't go? We only have four. We'll have to pick two more. We could bring Cassandra? She was awake when we left the cabin."

"There is no time" Zoe told her making Cassandra roll her eyes. "We must leave at first light. That's immediately. Besides, the prophecy said we would lose one."

"In the land without rain" Bianca said. "But that can't be here."

"It might be" Zoe said, not sounding convinced. "The camp has magic borders. Nothing, not even weather, is allowed in without permission. It could be a land without rain."

"But—"

"Bianca, hear me. I... I can't explain, but I have the sense that we shouldn't pick anyone else. It would be too dangerous. They would meet an end worse that Phoebe and Addison's. I don't want Chiron choosing campers as our sixth companions. And... I don't want to risk another Hunter."

Bianca was silent "You should tell Thalia the rest of your dream."

"No. It would not help."

"But if your suspicions are correct, about the General—"

"I have thy word not to talk about it" Zoe said sounding as if she were anguish. "We will find out soon enough. Now come. Dawn is breaking."

Nico was faster than Percy and scooted out of her way with Cassandra following. She yanked her wrist out of his grip and rolled away from them, still hiding from Nico. Luckily, Percy had enough time to put the invisibility cap on. But Zoe still almost ran into him. She reached for her bow but stopped as Bianca said, "The lights of the Big House are on. Hurry!"