Five: Flower Field

Tate has put into motion his plan to confess his love to you. The first thing he had to do was get a job. For the simple reason he needed money. After the flower incident he's come up with the perfect present for you. He's planning on making you your own personal flower field. One that you can go to whenever you desire. He can still remember the look on your face when you talked about the field, pure happiness. He wanted to see that look again and again. Forever.

Raising the money to get all the resources he needs to actually make a flower field took longer than he expected. He didn't mind the work, all he had to think about was your smiling face.

Once he raised enough money he was finally ready to move onto the second step, making the flower field. He already had the perfect place for the field to go. There was a patch of grass separated from the main backyard. For the flowers he got some from a local flower place then he dug a few flowers up from the original field. He thought it would be a nice detail that he knew you would appreciate. Along with the flowers he bought he also got some seeds to plant as well. Plus some gardening tools. The tricky part of this plan was getting all the things he needed in the backyard without getting spotted. He didn't want to ruin the surprise. In order to keep what he was doing a secret he skipped school and got to work.

It was long past the time he should have been home from school. He was completely exhausted and covered in dirt and sweat. He was proud of himself. The field looked amazing and the smell of flowers was already filling the air. He can't wait to show you and get your reaction.

Tate slips back into the house making his way up the stairs. Avoiding his mother who he knew would yell at him for missing dinner. He managed to make it to his room undetected by anyone in the house. When he opened the door he found you pacing back and forth with a worried expression on you. Your head snaps to him at the sound the door opening. He smiles when he locks eyes with you. At the sight of Tate you run into his arms embracing him in a tight hug.

You have been pacing around Tate's room waiting for him to come home. It was long after his usual time that he came home. Different scenarios were running through your head as you thought of all the things that could have happened. Now that he's in your arms you feel like you can breathe again. Tate held you close to his guilt eating at him for not telling you he'd be late. He apologized over and over. When the two of you finally pulled away you took notice of his appearance. Before he could tell you a lie for his absence you interrupt him asking why he's covered in dirt. Tate looked himself over his lie about losing track of time at the library, wasn't going to work. He thought of almost every detail of his plan except an excuse to tell you. "I... just let me get cleaned up and I'll show you" Tate could see the confusion on your face but he couldn't reveal anymore. He moved past you and made his way to his shower.

You sat on Tates bed, legs jumping up and down in anticipation. Patience was never a virtue that you possessed so having to wait was driving you insane. So when Tate came out of the shower you practically tackled him begging for answers. He thought you might explode if he didn't let you in on his secret. He grabbed your hand and led you down the stairs once again avoiding anyone in the house. When he led you outside your curiosity only grew. As the two of you approached the field Tate placed his hand over your eyes making sure you didn't peak. Tate was shaking with nerves scared of your reaction. When he finally drops his hand away from you his eyes are locked on your face. You gasped as you looked at the field. "You did this for me?" You turned to his eyes glossy with tears. Tate nods his head yes, you can't believe he did this. You throw yourself into his arms planting a deep kiss against his lips. This is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for her.

Tate's not finished though he has one more thing to tell you. "I'm glad you like it" you quickly correct him telling him you love it, and that it's the sweetest thing anyone's ever done for you. Tates confidence grew as you praised him for the gift. You kissing him like that also boosted his confidence. No way someone can kiss like that and not feel something. You moved to the field making yourself comfortable on the ground surrounded by flowers. Tate moved to sit next to you "I wanted to tell you something" you turned to look at him a large smile on your face as you do. "I love you" his voice is soft. You don't answer right away and it breaks his heart. He just ruined everything he should have just kept his mouth shut. God he's an idiot this was a huge mistake one he can never take- Your voice interrupts his thoughts.

"I love you too" You finally know what that unknown look in his eyes is, it's love. He loves you and you love him.

Tate is visibly shocked he didn't think it was possible that you'd say it back. He has to be dreaming there is no way you love him too. A kiss to his lips brings him back and he knows this is real, you love him.

Now that he knows you love him to he's more confident with his next question. "Will you be my girlfriend?" You were hesitant at first. Yes you love Tate he's amazing and so sweet but he's also alive. There's no future between the two of you. He'll continue to age while you'll be stuck at age seventeen. That's a reason to say yes as well though. You and Tate may not have long together so why not enjoy the time you do have. Tate was one in a million. You can't help but say yes, Tate pulls you in for another kiss.

The two of you spend the rest of the night in the field watching the sun rise together. It was magic you loved every minute you got to spend with him. There was light conversation exchanged between the both of you while holding hands. You laid your head against Tate's chest listening to the rhythmic beating of his heart. The sun was barely up when the two of you finally went inside. You resumed your cuddling when you got into Tates bed after changing into your Pajamas. Tate fell asleep almost instantly, having had both a physically and emotionally exhausting day. You stayed up though running your fingers through his curls. Whispering sweet nothings to him. Now that he's yours these moments feel different, more personal. The change was welcomed.