10. A Child in Dadaji

Being A Linkman During Cricket ODIs

Though Dadaji was always wearing a stern look, still he was a child sometimes. My walk down memory lane gets never finished when it comes to him. As I very well remember, he enjoyed every little thing with us which we cherished most.

Like:

We both sisters were cricket freaks and Dadaji knew it well, so whenever there would be any India match telecasting on DD National channel, he notified us for that. As I've mentioned in previous chapters about his punctuality he was literally very particular with his schedule, who would never compromise with that but we were exceptions. He used to shift his lunch time according to the match in the 10 minute interval between innings. He encouraged us to finish daily chores before the match would start by reminding us every now and then.

'Do this first...!!'

'Have you done that..??'

'Your match can start at any time..!!'

'Leave this undone now as they have come to the field for toss.!!!'

Once we took our places in front of TV, Dadaji got busy with his own stuff

Once we took our places in front of TV, Dadaji got busy with his own stuff. Periodically he used to get updates from us. And whenever he saw us roaming around during the match he used to ask smiling-

"Are you losing the match ?"

If it would be a "Yes !"

"How much did your Sacheen made runs."

[He used to call Sachin Tendulkar as- 'Your Sacheen']

Finding our no more interest in the match, he would let the remaining day pass as usual.

Or if it wasn't a YES, definitely the reason would be power cuts.

"Are you losing the match ??"

"No, it's a power cut." We would say disappointedly.

At this Dadaji would turn the radio on and become our Linkman for the match and started telling us the main updates, like-

~ Wicket gone

~ 6s and 4s

~ Century or Half Century

Etc..

He would cheer with us on every exciting moment, just to see smile on our faces.

This is how Dadaji got involved in our joys and made our childhood a beautiful
past.

•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~

•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~

How did you fell ??

💥 THUD..D.DD..!! 💥

Whenever I recall this incident, my lips automatically get curves to form a smile. Once I returned from school and saw Dadaji watering the plants. He was a little in pain I didn't know of what. I asked him to do the job, he was doing already and started gabbing with him while working.

He then revealed the cause of his discomfort saying-

"Gudiya ! Dear ! Today, I fell down."

Instead of asking 'How', my tongue slipped into a- "Why ?"

"Coz' I wished it for." Dadaji laughed.

"Err.. ummmm. .. I mean 'How'." I cursed my previous word.

"Thudd.d...dd..dd.!!" He replied voicing a thud sound.

'Oh no ! I didn't mean it.' I couldn't hide my embarrassment.

An awkward silence occurred in the air. Then, a moment later we both shared a laugh. Dadaji went inside the veranda to take some rest and I kept doing my job.

After completing rear side plants, now I was watering the plants in front yard, situated at the left of entrance. When I was coming back towards the tank, situated at the right of the entrance inside the house, to refill the watering bucket, I, through the rods of iron gate, saw a stray cow standing outside craving for little feed.

Ah !!

My only dear great Dadaji's unfettered pets sometimes annoyed me for nothing. I was in no mood to go and fetch anything for her, at that moment. So I sprinkled the little amount of remaining water in the small empty bucket, onto her face causing her to step backwards a few paces. I smiled at my small victory that all this went unnoticed by Dadaji and I didn't have to do anything for the cow now.

Few minutes later when I was done with my work, I came inside the house where Dadaji was sitting in Veranda

Few minutes later when I was done with my work, I came inside the house where Dadaji was sitting in Veranda. I was leisurely walking towards the room crossing Dadaji. Suddenly I heard Dadaji and jolted out at his statement.

"The water you gave her, she has drunk whole. Now, go and bring chapati..!!!!!"

'Oops .!!! When did he see me ?' I stilled at my position and Dadaji...?? He was smiling...!!!

•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~•○~