chapter three: truce

- TRUCE -

'For now, the drums of war echo, and it is time to prepare.'

In the tent's shadows, Sairah stands beside Lexa, who sits on her throne gripping a sharp knife. Clarke, leader of the Sky People, requested a meeting with the Commander. Sairah knows Clarke will try to convince Lexa to abandon the 'blood must have blood' idea, but she's also aware that Lexa won't agree to anything unless Finn, the one responsible for the massacre in Sairah's village, is dealt with.

When Sairah discovered Finn killed her brother, she initially wanted to go to their camp and take him out herself. However, Lexa talked her out of it, leaving Sairah feeling powerless for hours afterward.

As a blonde girl, likely Clarke, enters the tent, Sairah clears her throat. Gustus follows closely, keeping a close eye on Clarke. Observing her carefully, Sairah thinks, 'So this is Clarke.'

Clarke swallows nervously under the intense gaze of Sairah. She has encountered grounders before and even fought against some, but the piercing brown eyes of Sairah carry a different weight. Though close in age, Clarke senses the formidable strength within Sairah that sets her apart.

Lexa interjects, bringing attention back to the matter at hand. "You're the one who burned 300 of my warriors alive," she accuses.

Clarke, aware of Sairah's scrutiny, takes a deep breath before responding, "You're the one who sent them there to kill us."

Lexa presses for an answer, "Do you have an answer for me, Clarke, of the Sky People?"

"I've come to make you an offer," Clarke declares.

Lexa dismisses it, scoffing, "This is not a negotiation."

Indra voices her impatience. "Let me kill her and get this over with." Sairah, without uttering a word, silences Indra with a simple gesture. Clarke observes the dynamic between Sairah and Indra, recognizing the silent authority held by the non-commander.

"I can help you beat the Mountain Men," Clarke continues after a moment.

"Go on," Lexa urges.

Clarke takes a step closer to the trio. "Hundreds of your people are trapped inside Mount Weather, kept in cages. Their blood is used as medicine."

The girl on the throne furrows her brows. "How do you know this?"

"Because I saw them. My people are prisoners there too. I was one of them."

Indra interjects once again, expressing doubt. "Lies. No one escapes the mountain."

Clarke shakes her head. "I did. With Anya, we fought our way out together."

"Another lie. Anya died in a fire. You killed her," Indra adds.

Clarke reaches into her jacket, but halts when Sairah's hand moves to one of her Gladius swords on her hips. Clarke looks at her before slowly taking something out of her pocket.

Anya's braid.

"She told me you were her second. I'm sure she'd want you to have this." Clarke holds the braid out in front of her.

Lexa takes it from her hands.

"We don't know it's hers," Indra says with disgust in her voice.

"Silence, Indra," Sairah says in her native tongue.

"Anya was my mentor before I was called to lead my people. Did she die well?" Lexa asks while reflecting on the times she used to fight and train alongside Anya.