Chapter 2: Hectic start

Beta read by Shigiya.

.

.

.

-Yuuki household-

After that initial rollercoaster of emotions and unexpected events, both Ringo and Saibai returned home with the little bundle of red hair and amber eyes having fallen asleep at some point. A short while later, Ringo opened the door when she heard the doorbell ring, finding a familiar face.

"You finally came." She said, letting this person in.

They had a doctor come to their house, not wanting to stay in that hospital for another moment after what supposedly happened with Shirou. They didn't result in anyone, aside from their friend who joined them a few hours later to sort things out.

"This is a nightmare." Kinoshita Toshiaki, the head of the hospital of Sainan said as he tiredly sat on the sofa with a glass of cold juice in front of him. "If the general public finds out about this… then everything will be shut down. How could I have missed this!?"

His firm hand patted his back, "Oi, don't sweat it, Toshiaki. I know this is not your fault. These scums can infiltrate any part of society without being detected." It was Saibai, holding a can of beer while his wife joined them in the living room with Shirou.

"I sure hope so, I'll have to sweep over everything tomorrow and find those behind this." He said seriously, knowing how dangerous this case was. "Well, anyways, being the child over, I can perform further checks." 

"Careful, he's still sleeping." She said after putting the baby gently on a small bed. 

The man then started some basic check-ups on the child. 

"Well, when you told me that he was found abandoned in an alleyway beside the dumpster with a wild dog about to attack him, I was worried about some minor injuries and infection." The family held their breath before sighing in relief when Toshiaki waved their worries away with a thumbs up. "There's no trauma, injury, or any signs of malnutrition. He's a perfectly healthy baby." 

"Thank God for that." Ringo breathed out in relief, who knew just for how long Shirou was left there under the cold weather? 

"And the bad news?" Saibai asked the doctor. "A grown man can get a fever from staying out in this weather for too long. I can't imagine what a baby would have to go through. Not to mention he wasn't even covered by a blanket or anything to protect from the elements."

Again, his friend shook his head.

"It's a bit early to tell whether he'll get a fever or not. I don't see any symptoms or a high body temperature. I must say, the little guy is very healthy considering where he came from. Our records don't show any shots given to the boy, so you'll have to get on that soon enough. Also…" he laughed a bit, wanting to lighten the mood a bit. "He really looks like your son. The same shade of hair, being the major similarity. You did a good thing adopting him, I feel guilty about what happened to him and I know you'll take care of him like true parents."

Both parents were happy with his words. It warmed their heart knowing that the man knew they would treat the boy like one of their own.

"Hehehe! You've known us since Uni, of course, we'll be the best parents in the world!" Saibai responded proudly, his wife at his side also nodded in agreement.

"What about his name?" Ringo asked. "I know we finalized the documents and kept Emiya… but what if someone comes and tries to claim him back?" She absolutely did not want to let go of him to anyone else, he was their son and that was final.