Chapter 19: Solgam

Beta read by Shigiya and Paragon of Awesomeness.

.

.

.

-Mikado Clinic-

"Fuu," exhaling a cloud of white fog from the cool temperature that would be dispelled once the sun rose, Mikado rubbed her hands together as she sat outside her house, a steaming cup of coffee nearby to help her warm up. "Even in a city like this, these early hours before dawn are quite peaceful, aren’t they?" 

"Indeed, though it is a bit sad that the stars aren't as visible as they were a couple of decades ago." Shizu Murasame, the ghost girl, floated right next to the brunette peacefully enjoying their time stargazing together. Both of them had decided to take some time enjoying a quiet moment together before they’d begin a long day of working at the clinic. The number of patients had increased, going from a handful to easily half a hundred of them coming in this week alone. This was most likely due to what she suspected were rumors about Lala's presence on the planet. 

Then again, she wasn't entirely sure about that, given it was mostly just a guess on her part. It could just as easily be chalked up to Earth slowly becoming a more and more popular tourist spot for species across the Milky Way. Not that she could blame them, after all the planet itself presented itself as a beautiful haven in comparison to many other planets. There were no dangerous plants waiting to eat passing travelers within the forest. No monsters capable of destroying entire towns or ruins from ancient civilizations releasing countless murderous robots. So putting all those facts together, Earth was certainly a safe place for aliens to gather and relax. 

"I'm proud of how much you've been helping me lately, Shizu. At the rate you're progressing, you honestly might be able to replace me fully in the near future. At that point I'll finally be able to retire and you can take on my duties as doctor." This comment led to the blue haired girl getting flustered as she swiftly shook her head. 

"What are you saying Mikado-sensei? I still have a lot to learn, and I tend to mess up quite frequently unless I have you by my side. I'm afraid I'll do something  stupid and resort back to my old habits if you’re not watching over me, and I’ll just cause a lot of damage." 

"Fufufufu~! You worry too much. You only need to get more familiar with the patients, gather some more experience under your belt, and learn to go past your fears. Once you accomplish that, you’ll be completely set. Most of the people that come looking for me don't require extensive knowledge to help out. Most aliens have more similar physiology than you;d first expect, and you can always make use of my own notes on each species to assist you as a step by step guide. Unless you're dealing with someone like Golden Darkness, but at that point I'll naturally be there to step up and take care of her."

Shizu felt that the doctor was overestimating her, as she was still very new to her role as a medical assistant. But it warmed her heart knowing that there was someone who believed in her capabilities. Having been a ghost wandering the land for many, many centuries, the spirit didn't have any hopes or true goals to accomplish in the future. After all, what was a ghost able to do without a physical body? Nothing but haunt people, and that had never suited her tastes. 

"What's with you speaking about retirement all of a sudden? Do you have any plans for what you’d do if you’re not busy looking after patients, Mikado-sensei?" The woman always gave her the impression of being very dedicated to her craft, with a burning passion and love rivaled only by a few.

Mikado hummed, taking a few moments to think about her answer. "Not really. All my life I've been very focused on one aspect, and strived to reach a height no one else has with the help of a friend of mine. She and I had lofty goals, working for people we shouldn't have, and held flawed beliefs of the future. So to end up where I am today is a reality I am grateful to live in. Aside from living a quiet life… who knows? I’ll probably get married to someone who at least shares my taste in humor and matches well with my personality."