Chapter 8: Meeting Part 1

Beta read by Shigiya and Paragon of Awesomeness

.

.

.

-Sainan-

On a normal day, Emiya usually cherished these simple moments quite a bit. Walking to school with his brother for half an hour while enjoying the scenery of Sainan. 

The city itself wasn't that different from Fuyuki, even having certain streets and areas which almost looked like an exact copy. But what differed vastly were the people here, being far more exuberant and friendly than what his foggy memories could recall of the city’s inhabitants. Rin herself was never one to interact with strangers and hang around outside for long, so his most recent memories of the locals in Fuyuki weren't that valid or reliable. 

Still, the most mundane of activities, and more specifically the lack thereof, was something he’d found himself desiring every day. Just sitting down by the lake for hours while enjoying the Sakura trees blooming. Rito did call him an old man many times for his interest, and the boy wasn't wrong.  

But now, this small aspect of his life has been ruined by a large limousine blocking his path as a kendo-loving girl tried her best to look friendly but instead was wearing an expression that would make any child cry out of fear and run for their mother for protection. 

"Get in." She insisted, still frowning from the comment he made about her being a comedian. Which to be fair, was quite valid given that the way she was currently acting did make him want to laugh. 

"You couldn't have chosen another time and place for such a thing? At school would have been a good idea, wouldn't have caused such a scene and now people are going to start spreading rumors." There was already somewhat of a crowd gathered at the other side of the road, mostly girls from Sainan High School curious to see what was going on here. 

"Again, we just happened to pass by and my mistress saw fit to engage in a random act of kindness by offering you a ride." 

She kept insisting with 'Mistress' whenever talking about Saki and adding the '-sama' at the end when she decided to use the heiress’ name. He knew how close she was to that blonde; Emiya had seen them together since the beginning of school. Word traveled around that Rin was her official bodyguard from a long line of protectors of the Tenjōin family. Others speculated that her ancestors must have been ninjas or a house of samurai who swore loyalty to Saki's ancestors generations ago. 

Possibly valid claims, but irrelevant to him.

"I highly doubt you just happened to drive by here of all places; I know you never take this route to school — the roads here are far from ideal for a car that big." 

"Wanted to try out a new route."

"How convenient." He said, waving at Rito and Haruna to continue on without him. His brother hesitated a bit, not wanting to just leave him behind like that but Emiya gave him a look to indicate that everything would be alright. 

"Silence, now get in."

"Could at least buy me a drink first."

"I'm not in the mood for more of your jokes, Yuuki Shirou."

"Could’ve fooled me given the joke of a performance you’re putting on as we speak." 

"You're wasting time."

"You've just realized this? Congratulations." 

This would normally be their everyday routine at school. Rin, for all her reputation about being a quiet and scary girl, was completely out of her element whenever people started seeing her talk with him like this and thinking it was some kind of lovers spat. He found out much later that she considered their talks as duels in their own right and that backing out was tantamount to defeat.