Chapter 4: An alien!?

Beta read by Shigiya and Paragon of Awesomeness

.

.

.

--Home-

To say this day had been a disaster would be an understatement. 

He and Yui nearly got crushed to death by a meteorite that strangely looked like a stereotypical alien spaceship, Rito failed to confess to Haruna and instead the impact sent him stumbling onto her — only to get pummeled by the meek-looking girl — and he missed his rendezvous with Saki.

That thing had been a vehicle of sorts, Emiya knew that for a fact as he’d been able to identify every single nut, bolt, and piece of wiring on it, but couldn't grasp anything beyond that. It felt human but very foreign at the same time. Fortunately, despite not being able to obtain any information of value from it from it, there had not been not a single living being inside… 

After that, everyone who was still at the school had swiftly been asked to return home and let the authorities properly dispose of whatever that… thing was in the first place. Both he and Rito returned home with messy hair, dirty clothes, with the latter also having a large red fist mark on his cheeks.

"We can both agree to never talk about what happened today to Mikan." His brother said dejectedly, slumping from both the pain and the embarrassment of what happened.

"Whatever," Emiya rubbed his temples. "She'll find out about the crash from the news. And your face will tell her enough about what happened with Haruna."

"Is it that obvious?" 

"Always has been." 

They took off their shoes and walked inside the living room where they saw Mikan already relaxing on the sofa wearing her everyday clothes and munching on some taiyaki.

"Ah, let me guess, things didn't go very well with the confession." She stated, turning her head to the TV which was showing the local news. "Don't worry Rito, you can try again next time. Hopefully the moon won’t fall on the Earth when you do."

Both boys decided it was best for them to not talk about how close he and Yui came to knocking on death's door. The anchorman talked about how there were no students present in the buildings, probably a lie given by the principal to prevent any public panic.

Rito sat next to the kitchen table, slumping his head on it.

"I wrote a love letter a week ago and wanted to hand it over to her. She was waiting for something at the gates and I thought that it was the ideal time to confess or hand over the letter. I went so far as to check my surroundings every second and even my footing… but before I could get her attention the meteorite came and the shockwave knocked me forward." He said, scratching his cheeks. 

"And so you fell on her and got your hands all over her body, again." Mikan guessed what happened next, far too familiar with her brother's clumsy nature. "Maybe we should visit a shrine and get you purified. I'm afraid that you have been cursed with bad luck or something."

"I will try it out as well, hopefully, it'll work for me." Emiya said.

"It's not funny you guys! Now she'll hate me for real! I couldn't even exchange a single word with her while Nii-san over here just had a full-blown conversation with her about some random book this morning. It's not fair…" 

To see his brother casually walk up to Sairenji and to even hit her on the head as a joke before having a friendly conversation with her about a shared hobby was something Rito couldn't imagine himself doing, ever.