chapter three: serenity

CHAPTER THREE
serenity

I awoke with a pounding headache and an awareness of being tied up. I winced as I lifted my head and blinked as my vision began to clear. I seemed to be in a huge but very rundown room. I wondered if I was in an abandoned mansions that I'd read about in the news once. I had always wanted to visit one, having romanticised the idea of nature reclaiming the building. Turns out there is nothing romantic about a run down house.

I couldn't believe that I'd been chloroformed and tied to a chair. It's the type of thing you hear stories about but never expect to experience.

I looked to the side and saw a couch with a girl lying there who seemed to be waking from an unconscious state. She didn't seem to be tied up like I was. She slowly sat up before looking over at me, confusion marred her expression. She held a finger to her lips as she stood, indicating for me to be quite and I nodded as she untied me.

The sound of voices came from upstairs and the girl quickly crept in the direction of them, which confused me. The minute I could muster up the courage to stand, I'd be running in the other direction.

Henrik must be worried sick. For a moment I wondered if I'd ever actually see him again but I quickly banished the thought. I was getting the hell out of here and if I can't, Henrik was a witch so he could probably do a spell to find me.

Drawing from inner strength, I quickly but silently leapt out of the chair and made my way towards what I presumed to be the exit when my ears caught part of the conversation.

"Elijah's old school. If he accepts our deal, we're free."

I froze upon hearing the name Elijah. I was brought back to my conversation with Henrik about his brother of the same name. For a second I wondered if there was a possibility the rest of the Mikaelsons were alive. Henrik hadn't mentioned anything about immortality but what if his siblings were resurrected just like he was?

A creak sounded before I heard a woman shout, "You! There's nothing around here from miles. If you think you're getting out of this house, you're tragically wrong. Understand? "

The girl I was with must have been caught. Adrenaline pulsed through my veins as I made to leave but all of a sudden a hand gripped my throat tightly. Black spots appeared in my vision as I attempted to draw a breath. I looked up to see the man from earlier.

"Trevor!" A stern voice said from behind him, "Elijah will kill us if she's hurt!"

"He's gonna kill us anyway, Rose!" The man spat, letting go of my neck and I fell to the floor, breathing heavily.

"Who's Elijah?" The girl asked the other woman scowled.

"He's your worst nightmare" Rose said before walking over to me and lifting me with ease, "I think it's time to tie you up again." I attempted to wriggle out of her grip but she was incredibly strong.

"What do you want with me? Why am I here?" I asked as she tied me to the chair.

"Because the originals have been searching for you for centuries." She stated in a bored tone.

"What- who are the originals?" I stuttered and Rose came to stand in front of me, having finished tying me up.

"They're the first vampires." She said and I blinked as panic began to overcome me.

"Vampires?" I gasped. Henrik hadn't mentioned that vampires were real. Did he even know? After everything else I'd learned that week, the idea of yet another supernatural species didn't suprise me- but it did terrify me.

Rose rolled her eyes, "Yes vampires are real. I'm one, so is Trevor."

I blinked at her with shock. She looked completely normal with no red eyes or visible fangs. "Why do these vampires want me?"

"Because you're their mate."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I frowned, trying to understand what Rose was talking about. Was she trying to say that I was some sort of soulmate to these mysterious vampires? I knew that couldn't possibly be right.

"Enough questions," She snapped before walking out of the room, "Elijah will be here soon."

***

I was left alone for what felt like hours. After a while the other captive rejoined me, sitting on the couch next to me. It was totally unfair that she was about to walk around whilst I was stuck in an uncomfortable chair.

"I'm Elena by the way." She said with a small smile.

"Morgana." I replied as I watched Elena pick up a piece of paper, her eyes lighting up as she read it.

"Don't worry," She told me, "We're going to get out of here."

I began to reply when Trevor rushed into the room, followed by Rose. "He's here! This was a mistake!"

"No, I told you I would get us out of this. You have to trust me." She argued.

"No! He wants me dead, Rose!" Trevor cried.

"He wants them more." Rose replied, gesturing to myself and Elena.

There was a knock on the door and everyone froze before Rose sprung into action.

"Stay here with her and don't make a sound." She told Trevor, who nodded.

The three of us remained in a tence silence as Elena began to pace. I fidgeted in the chair as I tried to reassure myself that Henrik would find me. After a few minutes of silence I heard footsteps approach the room.

I looked up and my eyes widened as I saw Elijah. I couldn't ignore how much he resembled Henrik. Our eyes met and a look of suprise adorned his face before he sped towards me at a speed I struggled to comprehend. It must have been a vampire thing.

Elijah looked at me with complete awe and fascination as I shuffled in the chair, feeling self conscious under his gaze. He crouched down so he was eye level with me and gently caressed the side of my face. My heart pounded and I frowned at the feeling of serenity that flooded through me in his presence.

"I cannot believe it," He whispered before he gaze zeroed in on the bruising on my neck and arm. His eyes turned cold as he stood and said in a dark tone, "Which one of you laid a hand on my mate?"

Originally published: November 26th 2022