chapter twenty one: rapture

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
rapture

Elena and I jolted in shock upon hearing Elijah wake. We'd been sitting in silence for what felt like hours and the sudden sound was jarring. I stood, intending to rush to his side but I stopped dead in my tracks when his body started spasming as he gasped. I'd never been good in a crisis; my shock and concern override my ability to do anything helpful. Elena, not having the same qualms as I, knelt beside him as his body jolted unnaturally.

"Elijah!" She gasped and my mate looked up at her with wide eyes.

"Katerina" He gasped.

"Elijah, it's me, it's Elena!" The doppelganger reminded him.

Elijah seemed to calm so I cautiously walked over and knelt beside my mate. I stoked a hand down his still grey skin and his eyes shot to mine before he let out a gasp and collapsed. I blinked in confusion. Surely undaggering an original wasn't so complicated? Concern filled me as I looked down at my unconscious mate.

I moved a hand to stroke his face once more but before my fingers could meet skin, his body spasmed once more. Elena and I let out simultaneous gasps in shock as I fell onto my stomach in my haste to get away.

"I can't- I can't breathe." He choked as he stood before collapsing to his hands and knees, "What's happening to me?"

I watched helplessly from the ground as my mate was overcome with panic and crashed into the wall of the cell. Tears began to fall as sobs escaped my lips. The man I deeply cared for was in severe pain and I didn't know what to do. I slowly stood, desperate to help in any way.

"Elijah!" I said, shaking as I moved towards him,  "Elena, what do we do?"

"I can't- I can't- I can't be in this house." He breathed heavily and my eyes widened.

"You're not invited in." Elena voiced in realisation.

"Get me out of here."  He choked before he began speeding out of the cell, crashing into walls as he made his way out of the house.

Elena immediately ran after him. I didn't immediately follow, taking a moment to wipe my eyes and compose myself. It didn't take a genius to tell that I was having difficulty coping with the current situation. I didn't know how Elena was handling it all so well because I was an absolute mess. After taking several deep breaths, I left the cell to go join Elena and Elijah.

It was bright when I left the basement. It seemed to be early in the morning, which meant I hadn't slept all night. I was absolutely exhausted. Elena was conversing with my mate when I approached. She stood in the safety of the house whilst he stood just outside, looking a lot better than he had been just moments before.

Elijah's eyes seemed to brighten when he spotted me and I ran past Elena and collided with his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and I did everything I could not to burst into tears. I'd missed him more than I could comprehend. Swallowing, I tilted my head up to look at him. He smiled down at me before speeding us further away from Elena so we could have some privacy.

"Are you okay, my love?" He asked, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

“I am now that you're okay.” I nodded and he smiled softly, “I didn't like that one bit.”

“I'm sorry you had to see that.”

“It's okay, I'd just rather not witness that ever again.” I said with a shudder, “Is that what it's like every time one of you is undaggered?”

“No, I imagine that the complications were caused by my being in a house I am not invited into.” He informed me and relief washed over me, “Why were you with Elena?”