thirteen

"Lenore you can't stay in the apartment tonight," Edgar informed Lenore on Friday night while Lenore was sitting in Edgars study telling him all about the random conversation she had heard between two of the customers in the coffee shop that day.

"Excuse me you cannot just kick me out. I've been here longer than you. Why do you even need the entire apartment to yourself?" Lenore demanded, frustration that he had interrupted her story rising.

"Annabel is coming over. We are going to have dinner. Together. Just us. Like a date," Edgar explained.

Lenore gasped. "What?" she questioned.

"Yes I know it may surprise you but I have developed some feelings for the beautiful Annabel Lee and-"

"No I knew that," Lenore deadpanned, "the fact that you have a date with her is the surprising thing. Have you ever even been on a date?"

"Of course I have," Edgar said defensively. "What do you make me out to be?"

"Someone with no social skills," Lenore shrugged.

Lenore had no idea when or how it had happened. Annabel had never mentioned anything about having a plan to talk with him and Lenore had assumed that she had decided that she wasn't ready to ask him out yet. She didn't even know that the two of them had spoken face to face. She decided that she would ask Annabel for the details the next day in the coffee shop when she was working because she would certainly be a better teller of the story than Edgar who could be expected to tell it in the format of a poem or tell her that it was none of her business to know.

"Wait, does this mean that you are having your first date inside your little dark apartment?" Lenore questioned.

"Yes," Edgar responded slowly as if he couldn't understand the judgmental tone Lenore had used. "We are going to have dinner."

"But in your apartment?" Lenore exclaimed, "and do what else? You don't even have a television to like watch a movie afterwards and your tiny and gross apartment is absolutely not the place for a first date. You need to leave a good impression before she comes to the place you live, which in your case, might actually scare a girl away."

"She has already been inside the apartment," Edgar pointed out, "and why would it scare someone away?"

"Because most people don't like homes where they are scared a bat could fly out of any corner at any moment," Lenore explained.

"There are no bats," Edgar told her.

"But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a raven," Lenore added. "Anyways you are supposed to go out to a nice restaurant or even to the movies for a first date. This is why you should never be left to do things on your own.You are useless, seriously a date in your apartment? You couldn't have picked a worse location choice besides maybe her place of work."

"We agreed on it together," Edgar protested, "and why does it matter to you, it's my date."

"Well you're apparently trying to kick me out so that you can have it so it now affects me. Besides, it's my bestie you're trying to date and you're my roommate. This has everything to do with me honestly."

"It's friday night, you usually spend the evenings down in the coffee shop anyways. All I'm asking is that you do what you normally do," Edgar stated.

"Yeah but I go down there because that's where there's most likely to be something entertaining happening. Normally you just sit in your study and be gloomy alone with your poetry. If I'm being honest, watching you struggle to date sounds a lot more entertaining than anything that has ever happened in the coffee shop."