twenty one

"Those people were so terrible. Not only was that child a living nightmare that they could not control but they also had another one on the way. I can't do children," Lenore declared to H.G. as she joined him in the coffee shop after ruining another showing of the apartment that the landlord had been doing. "And then it began to cry," Lenore complained, "it was terrible. Really I was saving the coffee shop by getting rid of them. That child cries so loudly, the customers would definitely be able to hear it."

H.G. nodded meekly, "we could."

"Exactly. So I will accept my thanks," she grinned. "I'm pretty sure the couple didn't like eachother much either. They argued over everything. And you know what they say, 'if they argue during the showing of the house they will argue a lot more once they've bought it'."

"Who exactly says that?" questioned H.G.

"You know, people," Lenore shrugged. "The landlord sounded annoyed when she was leaving. She sold the apartment really quickly to Edgar but now no one wants it."

"How many people have you scared away now?" asked H.G.

"Well there was the first couple, then the one single mom with like seven kids, that old grouchy man, that sups uptight woman who didn't like that there was a coffee shop beneath the apartment and asked if it could be removed, and the couple that just left," Lenore listed off, using her fingers as she went through each one. "Literally all of them have been terrible roommate candidates. You can't blame me for getting rid of them."

"You will have to allow someone to move in eventually," H.G. pointed out.

"I mean, do I really," Lenore questioned, drawing out her words.

"I believe the landlord is going to want someone in the space to pay its rent," H.G. said with a soft nod, "and eventually someone will move in, possible in the same way as Edgar did, without having gone to see it and then you will not have any say in who is joining you in the space."

Lenore groaned. "I hate that you are right. Why do you have to be so smart?"

The door to the coffee shop opened with the soft ringing of the bell that hung off of the door frame.

"OMG Edgar," Lenore exclaimed as she glanced towards the door where she found Edgar walking inside.

"Oh hello Lenore, hello H.G." Edgar said as he moved towards the counter.

"Did you actually come visit me cause that it like sups sweet of you," Lenore pouted, resting one hand on her chest in a grateful manor.

"I did tell you I would come visit, didn't I?" asked Edgar.

"Well yes, but like you aren't someone I believe very often," Lenore explained, "I mean did you seriously expect me to believe that you were going to leave the place you were living?"

"Yes well, that is rather understandable," Edgar said with a small nod. "I have come though and I've brought a poem if you would be interested in reading."

"Is it about sad ravens and Annabel?" asked Lenore.

"No," Edgar frowned.

"Then I will totes read it," she smiled happily. "So like have you unpacked all of your things yet? Because you really should. I remember that you lived off of boxes for like two months after moving in here and it wasn't until I forced you to get rid of the boxes that you unpacked most of them. Please don't tell me that you are using a box full of your most important items as a nightstand at your new place."

"I only have one or two boxes not unpacked yet and the one is just old drafts of poems," Edgar assured her, "Annabel and I spent much time making sure that everything had a spot."