fourteen

"And then you just talked?" Lenore questioned. "I'm sorry but you expect me to believe that Edgar held a conversation for hours last night? This is the same Edgar who literally does all of his business through letters because he refuses to meet people for meetings."

"You underestimate him," Annabel responded.

"I literally live with the man. I think it can be trusted that I know him," Lenore decided.

The two girls were in the coffee shop, talking as Annabel told Lenore all of the details about her date with Edgar and how it had been arranged. It was slightly after lunch and the crowd inside the shop had slowed, only a few people sat around the room, all of which already had coffees in front of them as they spoke with friends or read books and newspapers alone.

"So is my roomie a completely horrible date because I can haunt him extra well tonight if he was," Lenore continued, glancing aimlessly around the room.

Annabel shook her head. "He was actually perfect," she told Lenore with a dreamy gaze. "I think we are going to do it again sometime soon. We didn't arrange another date but it was mentioned and we both agreed that it would be nice."

"Whatever makes you happy Anna banana," Lenore said, because really she just wanted her friend to be happy. "But like can you go somewhere else so I'm not being kicked out of the place I live because it is totes uncool."

"Oh of course. I didn't mean to have you forced out of your home," Annabel frowned apologetically.

"I mean like every now and then, and only on weekends when you have good staff working it's fine but like if you two are going to make dating a regular thing you have to force Edgar to leave the apartment and go places. It will benefit all of us."

Lenore and Annabel continued to talk until Annabel's shift ended. Emily started her shift just before the lunch rush and the two workers' shifts overlapped until the latest point the lunch rush ever lasted just to make sure that they were well covered, even though there were many times that the lunch rush was only covered by one person. After her shift Annabel had plans to meet with her former roommate who she wasn't used to not seeing every single day so after a few apologies for having to end their conversation Annabel left, giving Lenore a letter that she had been meaning to give to Edgar as she swung her bag over her shoulder.

All of Edgars mail was delivered to the coffee shop because the entrance to the apartment was through the back area of the coffee shop which meant that it couldn't be delivered up to his door. Most of the time, on the rare occasion Edgar got mail, Annabel would deliver it to the apartment for him but other times Lenore would be given the letters and forced to take them to her roommate. She considered being forced to bring mail up to Edgar the worst consequence of her constant visiting to the coffee shop.

"Edgar. You have mail and it looks boring," Lenore called as she floated up through the floor and into Edgars study after having given a very enthusiastic goodbye to the entire coffee shop.

"Lenore," Edgar scowled as he looked up from the poem he had been writing. "You ruined my concentration. I had just come up with the perfect line and now i've forgotten it, blown away like the breeze of the night through the breath of words from your-"

"Alright that's enough," Lenore stopped him before he could turn anymore of their interaction into a poem. "Here's your letter," she said, placing it on his desk, "and maybe think about going down to the coffee shop yourself to get your mail because being corporeal to carry something but also not corporeal to go through things is like a sups lot of work"

Edgar ignored her complaints as he reached for the white envelope and picked it up. Pulling an old fashioned letter opener out from one of the drawers of his desk Edgar quickly opened the envelope and pulled out the folded letter.